Cannot Program LOCO

pando

Hi Group,

I am going mental trying to program my Bachmann L&YR Tank with Elite controller ..(DCC fitted by Hattons) it seems my writing to CV 001 is unsuccessful. I write the value 2 into it but it is still set at 3.

The "normal quick-start" way from the manual also does not change the ID away from default value (03). The same goes to my Pendolino... I can't change the ID (program the loco) so save my life... it's always on default 03.

I am relatively new to Model Trains, and jumped into it very recently... maybe I'm missing something ? Thanks in advance for any help !! ciao, Roland

Hi Pando

I know that some decoders can be locked, so that no changes can be performed.  Does your decoder have this function and is it enabled?  On my TCS T1 decoders it's CV's 15 and 16.

It might also be the mode of programming that your using, paged, direct etc?

Hi Roland

I was a little surprised to see you describing the task of re-numbering your Loco's as being a change to CV001.

You are absolutely correct in that it is CV001 that you are changing but the Elite Manual (latest version page 15 shown below) does not actually refer to it by CV number.

In order that we can try to help you, can you please confirm first of all that you are using the instructions shown here.

/media/tinymce_upload/bf2d65d019d7ee4ad5140cd55ef17385.jpg

I have nothing to add to RDS's post - just an observation - IF you intend getting more loco's, over a period of time, I would suggest that you do as I do, and use the last two or three digits of the loco running number as it's i/d number. That way you can't forget what it is!  :-)

I think we may just be talking terminology here RDS given Roland has described using the "quick-start" method, which would seem to be the same as you have referred him to?  Is that right Roland.

Are you able to program any of your locos, or is it just these 2 and others are ok?  Irrespective, when you put the loco you want to program onto the programming track connected to the programming out, I suggest you disconnect the track output from your layout and see how you go.  Also, when you go to write the address, try some gentle pressure on the loco.  And everything should be spotlessly clean too.

If none of that is working, you may have a faulty programming output on your Elite.

...  just be talking terminology here RDS ...

Hi Fishy

Yes, I agree but Roland said he is relatively new so I felt it was unusual to be describing it as CV001 and I just wanted to check that he is using this method of programming. 

Thanks to all the replies,

indeed the quick start method reproduced above fails.... (It worked for (5 out of 7) other locos though and just reprogrammed my Jinty so it's working for that !)

I am new ; resorting to CV001 was just my own research taking it to the next level...

I am going to try some of the suggestions made here.. there are several minor ones (but potentially crucial) to test out

I am also going to try with my Select controller.

Will report back on my progress !!! Thx again. Ciao, Roland

Right here's the latest :

I reset the Elite : Same problems... I flawlessly (re) programmed 5 out 7 Locos ; 2 failed to change their CV001I got out my Select : On the running track I successfully programmed the other 2 using standard procedure.

Elite was compatible with Shunter and Jinty from Twin Freight Digital set, and Richard II, Cock o North, Mallard TTS. Elite couldn't budge the Bachmann 2-6-2 Tank's CV001, and whenever I read the Pendolino's CV001 I got the value 255... again only the Select was able to change it.

Anyway, I have at least given 7 separate IDs to my 7 Locos one way or another. I am guessing there's an incompatibility between Elite and the 6-pin Bachmann DCC chip that Hattons fitted. If the Elite were malfunctioning I don't think it would work on 5 Hornby Locos. 

On another note, my Pendolino has already given up ; it is stuttering and stopping... almost dead. A "new" purchase off Ebay... described as mint but well into mid life I'd say. I've settled on £70 for it from the seller... around half MRP when it was released. First and last time I buy a Loco deom Ebay : So anyway, my question is who can I send it to for maintenance / repair ? back to Hornby or is Hornby-Train-Restorations a recommended alternative ?

Thanks for following, ciao, Roland

I have nothing to add to RDS's post - just an observation - IF you intend getting more loco's, over a period of time, I would suggest that you do as I do, and use the last two or three digits of the loco running number as it's i/d number. That way you can't forget what it is!  :-)

I love this simple idea ! But for the moment I have 7 Locos ; so maybe I will use your system when I get into double figures ?! By the way.. I already feel privileged to have 7 Locos... how many do you have ? and what's an average for a keen Railway Modeller ?

... I am guessing there's an incompatibility between Elite and the 6-pin Bachmann DCC chip ...

Hi Roland

That is good that you have managed to Program all 7 of your Loco's.  I am not aware of any incompatibility between the Elite and the Bachmann 6 pin chip.  I have that chip in a few of my Loco's, programmed with the Elite.

@ pando..........this is my loco register so far..........the numbers are the addresses and I just refer to it if needed but with use I can now remember most of them anyway..........quite an eclectic mix.....no particular region or era, I just buy what I like the look of.........'DS' indicates Sound fitted.........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/250241c334f38442c835a9cf5ad8f655.jpg

BTW...........re the Bachmann 6 pin direct decoder, it is NMRA compliant and my Elite programs it without difficulty......HB

Right here's the latest :

I reset the Elite : Same problems... I flawlessly (re) programmed 5 out 7 Locos ; 2 failed to change their CV001I got out my Select : On the running track I successfully programmed the other 2 using standard procedure.

Elite was compatible with Shunter and Jinty from Twin Freight Digital set, and Richard II, Cock o North, Mallard TTS. Elite couldn't budge the Bachmann 2-6-2 Tank's CV001, and whenever I read the Pendolino's CV001 I got the value 255... again only the Select was able to change it.

Anyway, I have at least given 7 separate IDs to my 7 Locos one way or another. I am guessing there's an incompatibility between Elite and the 6-pin Bachmann DCC chip that Hattons fitted. If the Elite were malfunctioning I don't think it would work on 5 Hornby Locos. 

On another note, my Pendolino has already given up ; it is stuttering and stopping... almost dead. A "new" purchase off Ebay... described as mint but well into mid life I'd say. I've settled on £70 for it from the seller... around half MRP when it was released. First and last time I buy a Loco deom Ebay : So anyway, my question is who can I send it to for maintenance / repair ? back to Hornby or is Hornby-Train-Restorations a recommended alternative ?

Thanks for following, ciao, Roland

Ebay is a shopping centre, not a person. You wouldn't boycott a whole town just because you had a problem with one shop would you?  I have bought eighty eight models from eBay and only one had a problem, which was sorted out to my satisfaction. The model is now worth £100.00 more than I paid for it.

Yes poliss,

I'm sure ebay's a good source... people getting rid of their train sets etc.I'm sure a bit of TLC will have it up and running again.. trouble is I have no experience!!!

800 or 15000 Locos is a lot.... I wonder why one needs so many ?

I would like to aim for 20 max.

If you are using a power clip or power track to make the connection from your controller to the programming track or the main track, make sure they are the digital version.  The analogue versions contain a capacitor which interferes with the DCC signal and will cause problems programming and running trains.

You can open up the analogue versions and remove the capacitor to make it DCC compatible.

The best way of making the connection to the track is to solder the wires from the controller to the rails.

"I already feel privileged to have 7 Locos... how many do you have ?

Nine diesel outline, and fifteen steam, plus around four DCC ready but not yet chipped up. About half of those are sound-fitted."

I think I must do an inventry soon since I lost count at 100 or so. However, many of these are a pile of bits in a box, bought as wrecks and awaiting reassembly.

... Ebay is a shopping centre, not a person. You wouldn't boycott a whole town just because you had a problem with one shop would you? ...

Hmm.  Don't you mean that ebay is a person, not a shopping centre?

Archived