Double DDC decoder

null_null981707818694

Hi,

I just bought two OO R3392TTS CLASS 40 164 BR blue locomotives with TTS sound decoder.

I want to instal LED head and tail lights in them.

According to the discription booklet you can choose the TTS or the comon DCC decoder.

I want to keep the TTS decoder for the sound.

The question is can I tap off the TTS decoder for the light funtion, or is there a way to also  instal a DCC decoder?

So I end up with a TTS and a DCC decoder in 1 loco, I don't mind soldering.

If yes can you tell me where and what to connect, what are my possebilities here?

Cheers,

Danny

@Null

Yes you can add lights to your TTS loco, using just the TTS decoder.

All you have to do is remove the screws securing the decoder socket for access to the underside and solder on the leads from the lighting kit, or do as I did and install a plug and socket, such as the one Hornby use to link loco and tender on some steam models.

I used an Express Models kit and ran those wires to a new four pin socket in the loco body  and on the loco chassis I ran four wires from the dcc socket to a four pin plug so that I can disconnect to remove the body.

You use the four inner pins of the DCC socket which on a TTS loco are empty and solder on a white, yellow, green and blue wire to accord with the NMRA pattern which is shown on the Hornby DCC conversions web page.

Blue is a common positive, green is the switched wire for F1 (say cab lights), white is the switched wire for forwards directional lighting and yellow the switched wire for reverse directional lightin.

Match these wires to the lighting kit instructions.

Good luck.

Further to RAF's perfectly correct description, you will also find the same explanation in your TTS decoder leaflet.  The function list shows you lights are on F0 and Section 8 shows the function wiring pin designations which are the same as RAF describes.

@Danny

Just to clarify when I mention F1 above this is the generic function one output of a decoder. A TTS decoder switches this function not from the F1 button which is sound on/off but by either F18 on steamers or F25 on diesels.

Archived