Starting the trains up and running after you get and short circuit/error

DaveClass47

Hi all,

I have the latest version of Railmaster.  Its linked to my 4 amp supply (I got with the Hornby Elite unit) and the elink.

However, when a train causes a short circuit, ie goes over the points when they are set the wrong way etc I have difficulty in getting things up and running quickly.

For example, with my Hornby elite unit when there is a short circuit and 'ERROR' appears on the controllers sceen.   I then simply recifity what was causing the short and press 'ESCAPE' button on the elite and everyting is good to go again.  Its a quick press of a button.

BUT....with Railmaster I have no such ESCAPE/reset button, so I have to click on the tiny red rectangle (down the bottom right of the screen and reset the controller/elink.   This sometimes works first time, but often does not.   Am I missing something?, is there a quicker way to do this??

HELP?! ;-)

This is one of the weaknesses of using eLink. As far as I can tell from your description, you are doing everything that is available to you, correctly with regard to recovering.

I take it that you are aware that you could get the best of both worlds by using RailMaster with your Elite instead of your eLink and putting the eLink in your bottom drawer as an emergency fall back. Everything you can do with with RM and eLink you can do with RM and Elite......only better. 

This is one of the weaknesses of using eLink. As far as I can tell from your description, you are doing everything that is available to you, correctly with regard to recovering.

I take it that you are aware that you could get the best of both worlds by using RailMaster with your Elite instead of your eLink and putting the eLink in your bottom drawer as an emergency fall back. Everything you can do with with RM and eLink you can do with RM and Elite......only better. 

Hi, thanks for that reply.

But am I correct in saying that you cannot use a smart phone APP if you use the Elite with the Railmaster?  

And using the railmaster with the elite....how does this all connect up?   What wires go where?!

Cheers

Hi again, just been playing around using the elite and railmaster together, works well.  I can even use my APP on my iphone.   So it begs me to ask the question, whats the elink box for?.....I suspect it's for those who perhaps dont have the elite in the first place?!

Thanks for the idea...I have not idea why I hadnt used this combination sooner!   Check out Dean Park Station on youtube to see my layout in action.  It will also soon appear in Hornby Magazine. ;-)

Hi Dave, best not to use the blue arrow in a post to reply, you just end up with useless duplications of the original post, use the box at the bottom of the page with the green reply button, as I'm doing.

You are correct about elink, it is the cheap way to get into DCC with your PC etc.  just one thing to watch out for having swapped though is your ini file settings.  Go to the second top locked thread in the RM/TM forum, scroll down to the bottom post from HRMS and you'll find it is covered in there.

DC47, you have already answered your own questions, but for the benefit of others and just to provide total clarity.

But am I correct in saying that you cannot use a smart phone APP if you use the Elite with the Railmaster?

The Mobile APPS [iPhone, iPAD, Android etc] are purely ways of communicating in a mobile way to RailMaster. The Mobile APP is completely oblivious and doesn't care what controller [eLink or Elite] you are using.

And using the railmaster with the elite....how does this all connect up?   What wires go where?!

Exactly the same as your eLink. Track to Elite Track output. Programming Track to Elite Programming Track output. Elite USB port to PC USB port. It's just another Hornby controller, the eLink is nothing special, just cheaper.

So it begs me to ask the question, whats the elink box for?

Much cheaper than Hornby Elite and gave something that Hornby could bundle into their Digital Train Sets with more functionality than a Select.

As Fishy suggested, review your railmaster.ini file (see last post entry in locked thread at top of forum Railmaster section titled "Railmaster: Setting Up and Getting Started". You want the last posted entry titled "Railmaster and Windows 10". Ignore the reference to Windows 10, the content of this post is just as valid for previous versions of Windows as well.

I recommend also adding if not present; "Elite feedback=1". This entry will allow the knob (throttle) movements of the physical Elite knobs to be fed back into RM and move the on screen throttle sliders in synchronisation.

Archived