DCC Booster

jude_farrant

Hello.

I've purchased a Hornby DCC Booster for my track. From what I've read it repeats the Digital signal rather than boosts the power. When I plug the booster in to the track and the (Elite) Controller, the On light is on. Does this mean it doesn't need to be plugged in to the mains as the Elite is powering it and it's just boosting the Digital signal.

Many thanks 

Hi Jude...........the Booster must use it's own power supply and, crucially, must only feed a section of track that is isolated from the other section of track that is connected to the Elite...........it can either pick up the digital signal from the main track using a power connector or via the expressnet cable plugged in to the back of the Elite...HB

/media/tinymce_upload/459c85ddaa1164daf73a4fe82f088ffb.jpg

j_f I've seen on this forum that a better description of this kit is a signal repeater. Your elite track outputs powers one section of a layout.

Once that layout grows so big (as some of them do) or you have heaps of locos and accessories running so that there isn't enough power to drive anything then a new section is created electrically separate to the one that the Elite is powering. This is what the Booster powers. IRJs (insulated rail joiners) which I've seen on some track diagrams as // can do this for you.

I hope this simple diagram comes out okay if it doesn't I'll edit it out.

Elite powers this side which is electrically isolated from the Power Booster's track outputs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

|                                                                                 |     The cable that joins the elite command station to the booster repeats the DCC

=                       huge layout                                     =  

|                                                                                |      signals  (instructions) to this side of the layout powered by the booster

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Booster powers this side which is electrically isolated from the section powered from the Elite track outputs.

And of course someone else has found some proper diagrams while I was drafting this. 😀

I've purchased a Hornby DCC Booster for my track.

Why?

If you explained your rationale for buying the booster, we could better advise.

Archived