Problems Adding locos

Condor

I tried to add a new loco to n.1 of my hornby select, but when i finish all the step in page n.9 of manual, the led blinks just 3 times and i find on channal 1 the function of the loco, while on channal 3 the throttle controll. I tried with two locos: Fleishmann 731476 and with Hobbytrain H2969.

What can i do?

Thanks

Condor, welcome to the forum.

I take it that you are located in Germany and English is not your native language. I will try to be as concise and as detailed as possible in answering your question.

I'm stating the obvious, but your locomotives must be fitted with a DCC decoder and not just be 'DCC Ready'. The Fleishmann 731476 appears to be 'Sound' Decoder fitted. I cannot find any information on the Hobbytrain.

DO these two locomotives operate as expected using the factory default 03 DCC address?

If they do not, then this issue needs to be corrected first before continuing further.

You stated you were following Page 9 of the Select Manual. This would indicate that your Select is firmware version 1.4 and/or above. Note: You will need to have your Select firmware upgraded to version 1.5 if you want to access Sound decoder functions above F8. Only Hornby can upgrade the Select firmware for you.

The 'Select' does not have a separate programming track output. It is essential that ONLY the locomotive that you want to configure is connected to your 'Select'. I would disconnect the output of your Select from the main track and connect it instead to a short length of spare track, so that the locomotive that you want to configure is completely isolated from the rest of your layout.

Note: you must use DCC compatible power connectors to the track. Analogue DC power connectors are not suitable unless modified to remove the suppressor capacitor under the power connector cover. If the capacitor is left connected it can affect the ability of the locomotive DCC decoder to function correctly, particularly when being programmed. Bare wires directly soldered to the track rails is totally acceptable as an alternative.

With ONLY the locomotive that you want to configure connected to your Select.

Instructions below copied from manual....but with a few modifications of my own.

1. Press and hold the 'SELECT' button for 2 seconds. The LCD display will flash "LA" (Locomotive Address).
  2. Use the 'Select' keypad to type in the Locomotive Address that you want to configure. You can only use numbers between 01 and 59.
  3. For this example I will use address 06. Key in 0 (zero) followed by 6 (six). The display should flash "06".
  4. Press the 'SELECT' button again to 'programme' the locomotive decoder with the address 06. The RED LED should flash up to SEVEN times whilst the locomotive decoder accepts its new address.
  5. The locomotive should now have its new 06 address and can be tested using that address.

Note: The Hornby Select is NOT 100% compliant with the DCC NMRA specification and since your locomotives DO not have Hornby brand DCC decoders (an assumption on my part). Then it is possible that you have been doing everything correctly but your Select is just not compatible with your locomotive decoders for performing configuration procedures.

Dear Chrissaf,

I'm italian, so i'm sorry for my english, but german should be wrost. Thanks for all!! I success on adding locos just resetting the hornby select and now everything is perfect.

The firmware of my Hornby Select il 1.1 (this is the first number i see on display when i turn on it), and i can use only 8 functions of my fleishmann. How can I update the firmware to use all function? I have to send it to Hornby?

Thanks again for your help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,,,You will have to send your HORNBY select to HORNBY in the uk for a software update ,I believe the update will allow you to use more functions on your sound decoder ,,the cost is £15 GBP,,,you might do better looking at a new digital controller that is up to date and a little bit future proof ,,,,,,,mjb

Dear Chrissaf,

I'm italian, so i'm sorry for my english, but german should be wrost.

No apologies necessary. Your English is far better than my non existent Italian. The meaning of your question was understood, that is the main thing. In fact, it is better written English than some posts on this forum I have seen made by some native UK residents. I thought German, because the information I found on the Fleishmann 731476 was on a German web site.

MJB gave the answer regarding getting the Select firmware updated.

Glad to hear that you have made progress by resetting the Select.

I would buy a DCC controller that has voltage adjustment for N gauge locomotives.

The voltage from the Select is too high for them.

Your comment prompted me to check the output voltages from both my Elite and Select........the Elite voltage is 15.5V and the Select is 16.0V.........since the same small decoders can be used in both 00 & N gauge locos I wondered in what circumstances the Select voltage would be too high........surely the decoder controls the volts to the motor anyway?.........HB

Nothing to do with the decoders. It's the motors. The decoder doesn't regulate voltage. It pulses the full output from the controller minus about 1 volt, so your motor would be getting 15.0V from the Select.

I can regulate the output on my controller. For my N scale locos it's set at 12V.

@ poliss..........well that's very strange, poliss.......the voltmeter across the motor terminals of the motor I just checked reads from 2v to 10.5v DC depending on the throttle position of the Elite not 15v AC..........I was under the impression that the digital signal from the controller was interpreted by the decoder and converted into a DC voltage to vary the speed of the DC motor.........surely that's the whole point of the decoder in the first place.?...HB

No, it sends pulses of full voltage to the motor. All the decoder does is change it from AC pulses to DC pulses. At a slow speed, full voltage may be applied to the motor for 20% of the time. At max speed it will send almos full voltage from the controller 100% of the time. It could cause an N scale motor to run hotter and will almost certainly shorten the life of the motor.

That's why you can adjust the output voltage on good DCC controllers.

Archived