ini file

I apologise once again for being a bit thick but I have changed my elink for an Elite and am changing the RM software as required. I have been advised that my ini file needs to be changed but cant find a reference to it on here. I have no clue as to what an ini file is, let alone where to find and adjust it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Page 32 and 33 of the Railmaster 1.64 user manual.

1. Click the Help ? button in the top navigation row within RM. Go to the 'About' page.
  2. Click the 'COG' icon on the 'About' page.
  3. Follow the on-screen prompts to open the integral builtin .INI file editor within RM.
  4. Make changes as required to .INI file (see later below).
  5. Save changes and exit .INI editor.
  6. Close RM and restart to ensure editied .INI file is loaded.

RailMaster .INI file entries for Elite under Windows 10.....these are the entries that work for me.

I would suggest that these are added if not already present. Or modified to match if different.

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=0

Elite feedback=1

For more information on .INI file entries see last post in this following thread linked below:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmaster-setting-up-and-getting-started/?p=1

I was looking in windows files for it......cough,

The .ini file resides in the Railmaster folder (which is in Program Files) listed under the name railmaster.ini

Depending upon your file settings you may/may not be showing the .ini suffix in the folder listing thus making it more difficult to spot.

The cog method is the easiest way to find and fiddle with it.

I got there in the end. I followed Chrissafs instructions, adding things to the file that weren't there and all now seems well.

I find it difficult looking through the pdf instructions on the pc.  Is there a proper manual available in book form for Railmaster like the one that comes with the Elite? I find it so much easier.

No, there is no printed RailMaster manual. In general, I too prefer reading from a printed page, but in the case of RM I prefer using Acrobat Reader's search facility to overcome the absolutely abysmal index and contents pages of the Hornby manuals.

Put in a key word in the search box and Acrobat finds every printed instance of it in the manual. Makes it much easier to find that elusive feature process (how to) that is just not covered by the index. The key to success is to know what 'words' to use as search terms.

In Acrobat Reader, holding down the PC 'Control Key' and the 'F' key at the same time opens the text search box. 'F' for Find. This standard Windows 'Hot Key' combination works in many software packages including Acrobat.

Archived