Unable to change address code

roythegrass

I have a new Bachmann 65102 Union Pacific Diesel. The default setting was 3 on which it ran fine. I attempted to change the address code (Hornby Select) but the loco would not accept the change. On each attempt the LED flashes 8 times –not the usual "up to 7 times"- and the lights on the loco flash intermittently but the loco does not accept the new code or run on the default 3 code. Recoded numerous locos in the past without any problem so where am I going wrong?

Roy

@Roy...........have you tried resetting the decoder by writing value 8 to CV8..........this should put the decoder back to address 03 then you can try again.........it is assumed that you are using a seperate programming track....HB

That’s disappointing that the Select is not up to the job.  A while back I changed the address code of a Bachmann Evening Star without any problems.  I’ve also purchased a Bachman Class 55 Diesel set at default 3 so I’ll leave this as is. I may upgrade to the Hornby Elite, is this NMRA compliant and be capable of changing Bachmann address codes? In the meantime I’ll try resetting the Select.

Roy

The Elite has in the past had issues with some Bacchy decoders but recent updates are supposed to have addressed these.

A reset of the Select may fix your problem. You should also try pressing down on the loco when programming it as any grott on the track or wheels can interrupt the dcc signal.

@Roythegrass...........it would appear that your Bachmann Union Pacific loco is an American HO Bachmann fitted with a SoundTraxx decoder in which case it could well be incompatible with the Select.........decoder manufacturers all have their own interpretation of NMRA & NEM standards..........this does not mean that the Select won't re-address British Bachmann decoders...........HB

Thanks Howbie, you're right and I was wondering if being an Americam HO loco the Bachmann would be compatible. The accompaning paperwork makes several references to assigning a new address on "NMRA compliant DCC systems".  Shame this is not made clear by the retailers selling into the UK market.

it would appear that your Bachmann Union Pacific loco is an American HO Bachmann fitted with a SoundTraxx decoder in which case it could well be incompatible with the Select.

Another posibility to consider. American SoundTraxx sound decoders have known issues when being programmed. One of the reasons I assume, that this American controller add-on product was developed to support SoundTraxx (amongst others) programming.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/locomotive-decoders/sound-and-speakers/powerpax-programming-booster.aspx

US Manufacturer web site

http://www.dccspecialties.com/products/powerpax.htm

@Chrissaf.........that's interesting, Chris.......I wonder if a simple voltage amplifier circuit would do the trick to assist the Select controller to work with these more demanding decoders..........they're quite cheap and easy to make I think..........HB

HB, I have no idea what the principle of operation is for the PowerPax.

See fifth post down on this link for additional info regarding use with Hornby eLink:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/7148/?p=3

Product Web Review, gives a bit of an insight into what the product does:

http://www.model-railroad-infoguy.com/programming-booster.html

Update

The loco was returned to the retailer on Friday-they emailed a prepaid return label- they assigned a new address code on Monday, it was received back today and it’s working fine. So full marks to Rails of Sheffield for excellent customer service. Now I’ll have to update my Select controller to the Elite.

Archived