E link + Railmaster installation etc.

Hi Every one, I have been reading many of the tales of woe described in this particular forum regarding the e link /railmaster installation issues, I have just ordered the e link/railmaster pack to replace my select controller, I am now not certain that I  have done the right thing!!!!

Although I consider myself computer literate (I have a working knowledge of Excel,(spreadsheets, graphs, calcs. etrc),also word, powerpoint etc.- I can scan documents save or send them in e mails, download and install new programs etc.- HOWEVER, reading the software problems and possible solutions people have had to cope with has filled me with trepidation.- Perhaps I am not computer literate after all!!

Surely in this day and age the installation should be very straightforward. eg- download the dvd, connect up the hardware, run the program (taking into account the version of windows present), and then start to play and learn how to harness the excellent features of railmaster, I realise that this aspect may take some time , but the actual installation should surely be straighforward???

"Recently retired old Codger" Regards to All    Baz.

Something like, plug the base controller into the layout and router. Download the free app, enter the router password and away you go?

That's all you have to do with my system. No worrying about what version of Windoze you're using, com ports, .ini files or any of the other nonsense.

I must be the only person in the world who has had aboslutely no problems getting RM to work basically with eLink and Elite, although I will admit to having had as many problems as others with the goings on details, such as expanded throttles, function buttons awry, etc.

My advice to Baz is to go for it, using the download link install from the top of this page rather than using the out of date disk you will get with your eLink. Follow the instructions in the pinned topics if you see any problems as due to the fickleness of windies and the various antivirus packages you may have to wield a big stick to force these blighters to toe the line.

... I must be the only person in the world who has had absolutely no problems getting RM to work basically with eLink and Elite ...

I cannot comment about eLink but my RM / Elite combination works without problems and I have used it on XP, W7 and now W10.

The majority of the posts on 'Installation' here relate to people having eLink installation / using problems. All the many users who have not had any installation problems just don't post on good news.

OK I can't comment directly on eLink as I have Elite with my RM, but as long as a few basic tips are followed, then all should be well. My recommendation would be:

1. Install the eLink driver first BEFORE installing RM software. Just plug the eLink into a USB2.0 port (not USB3.0) on your PC and ensure that 'Plug 'n' Play' detects the eLink and installs the driver. You can check that the driver is installed by opening Windows Device Manager and looking at the comm port section. The driver should be listed as "USB Serial Port (COM x)" where x is the port number allocated, this must be less than 5 for eLink to work correctly. If above 4 then manually force the port number down to a lower number. Take a mental note of the port number for later (step 4 below). Once the driver is installed ALWAYS use the same physical USB port when connecting your eLink to your PC, changing the port you plug into can cause the allocated port number to change, this can cause a mismatch with the port number used by RM. Assuming you are using either Windows 7, 8x or 10 then you should not need to use the drivers provided with the RM software. The Windows 'Plug 'n' Play' drivers should work fine and dandy and are preferred. Thus the RM 'Drivers.PDF' document can be largely ignored as it predominantly relates to the Hornby provided drivers.  
  2. Download the RM installation file from the link at the top of the forum RailMaster section, do not use the CD supplied with eLink. It will almost certainly be out of date. IMPORTANT STEP, right click the downloaded RM installer and choose 'Run as Administrator' to install the software. Leave the eLink connected and the driver loaded during this stage. Any questions that the installer raises relating to 'allowing' or 'disallowing' security settings, MUST be 'ALLOWED'. It would be preferable to have your PC connected to a working 'Internet' connection throughout the installation process.
  3. Once RM is installed, check the RM .INI file settings. Click the ? Help navigation button in top navigation row. Then choose 'About'. Then click the 'COG' icon in the bottom left hand side of the 'About' window. Follow the on-screen prompts to open the RM .INI file editor. Make sure that these two lines are present "Alternative comms=1" and "Check controller=1". Add them if missing, or edit the text if showing different settings. Close down and restart RM to ensure any revised .INI settings are loaded.
  4. Open the RM System Settings window ( COG icon in top navigation bar) and make sure that eLink is selected as 'Controller A' and that the com port being used by it matches the com port allocated in step 1 above. See also pages 17 to 33 of the RM manual.
  5. Now you can test RM and eLink in Evaluation Mode. If happy with outcome, follow the 'Activation' process on page 129 of the RM manual using the Activation Key printed on the CD packaging. You should now be good to go. If you get any 'Activation' fail errors, then follow EVERYTHING in the companion 'Security.PDF' manual installed by RM.

For further information and problem solving see the following locked post from the top of the forum RM section.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmaster-setting-up-and-getting-started/?p=1

Many Thanks to Poliss, RDS,Chrissaf, and RAF96, especially Chrisaf and RAF96, for your explanations which are excellent!!

RAF 96, your advice is very helpful and sound and I intend to follow as you say,- Chrissaf your step by step guide is much easier to follow than the one in the Railmaster guide notes, Many MANY Thanks to you both, I now feel far more confident that I can complete the installation properly,  

You Guys are a real asset to the forum, you have a great deal of knowledge and are very patient and understanding.  Again Many Thanks, Baz.

(Old Codger recently retired)

@ Baz48................Sorry, Baz, you can't claim 'Old Codger' status until you've attained age 75 when you'll get a free TV licence, a not inconsiderable concession from your Government in recognition of 50 years hard work!!!.........HB (oldish codger)

One last tip. When activating the RM Software you have to fill in the information requested (see screen shot below). It is wise to keep a written record of the information you have entered. If for any reason you have to re-activate RM. This recorded information must match that held on the HRMS server.

/media/tinymce_upload/86abc2042671a08235abbf58197dd935.jpg

Archived