LOCO ID not being recognised

KNAP

@KNAP

The very first thing I would do is to upgrade to the current version of RailMaster (v1.64), your log file indicates you are using an older version (v1.63). You can download 1.64 using the link at the top of the forum. This may or may not resolve your probems, but its certainly what HRMS would advise you to do first before any further investigation.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Program issue has not been resolved since last year. I just use a work arond now.

I am fully up to date and this is from today. Program lasts for 55 mins - The program exits at 34 mins.

22/08/16 11:05:16 32:47 Executing: Stop for: HERCULES22/08/16 11:05:19 32:50 Executing: F3: Whistle (short) for: HERCULES22/08/16 11:05:24 32:55 Executing: Forward to shunt for: HERCULES22/08/16 11:05:29 33:00 Executing: Forward to cruise for: HERCULES22/08/16 11:05:39 33:10 Executing: Reverse to shunt for: GOLIATH22/08/16 11:05:49 33:20 Executing: Reverse to cruise for: GOLIATH22/08/16 11:05:56 33:27 Executing: Forward to shunt for: HERCULES22/08/16 11:06:04 33:35 Executing: Stop for: HERCULES22/08/16 11:06:30 34:01 Executing: F1: Sound on/off for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 11:06:31 34:02 Executing: Switch left for: Controller: A Port: 001222/08/16 11:06:33 34:04 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 001122/08/16 11:06:35 34:06 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 000322/08/16 11:06:37 34:08 Executing: Forward to shunt for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 11:06:39 34:10 Executing: Reverse to shunt for: GOLIATH22/08/16 11:06:42 34:13 Executing: Stop for: GOLIATH22/08/16 11:06:43 34:14 Executing: F2: Whistle (long) for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 11:06:45 34:15 Executing: F0: Lights on/off for: HERCULES

2nd run same exit point

22/08/16 11:52:20 34:01 Executing: F1: Sound on/off for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 11:52:21 34:02 Executing: Switch left for: Controller: A Port: 001222/08/16 11:52:23 34:04 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 001122/08/16 11:52:25 34:06 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 000322/08/16 11:52:27 34:08 Executing: Forward to shunt for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 11:52:29 34:10 Executing: Reverse to shunt for: GOLIATH22/08/16 11:52:32 34:13 Executing: Stop for: GOLIATH22/08/16 11:52:33 34:14 Executing: F2: Whistle (long) for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 11:52:35 34:15 Executing: F0: Lights on/off for: HERCULES

Does this happen when you run the program from the main RM screen? Does the same happen if you run it from within the program editor? Also, what are the next few entries in the log.txt file after "34:15 Executing: F0: Lights on/off for: HERCULES"? 

Also, what would the next command have been if it hadn't exited?

Ray

Added 60 secs - now exit is 60 secs later but same step.

Next command is just sound off for HERCULES

22/08/16 12:34:25 34:01 Executing: F1: Sound on/off for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 12:34:26 34:02 Executing: Switch left for: Controller: A Port: 001222/08/16 12:34:28 34:04 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 001122/08/16 12:34:30 34:06 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 000322/08/16 12:34:32 34:08 Executing: Forward to shunt for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 12:34:34 34:10 Executing: Reverse to shunt for: GOLIATH22/08/16 12:35:37 35:13 Executing: Stop for: GOLIATH22/08/16 12:35:38 35:14 Executing: F2: Whistle (long) for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 12:35:40 35:15 Executing: F0: Lights on/off for: HERCULES

Why are you displaying a log file from last September. Especially one that says there is no DCC Controller attached.

09/12/15 .......... I think it would be from last September if he lives in the USA, otherwise probably last December  😉

Ray

Ray, it states the date format in the log file as mm/dd/yyyy.

Also it is an old version of RM 1.63.

That's strange - this is the first line from my log file from last night....

21/08/16 19:51:31 RAILMASTER STARTED 1.64 (Revision: 0)

Maybe they changed it in 1.64 ??

Ray

When you say you added 60 secs, do you mean that the first program command is now at 60.00 instead of, say, 0.00? If so, could you add a new command at 0.00 say to simply display a message for 10 secs, then see what, if any, difference it makes?

Edit: forget that - I see now that the time of the last executed command has gone up by 60 secs

Ray

I think you might well have discovered a limit to the size of a program. It's a pity that RM could not be changed to display a message to the user (and maybe put an entry in the log file) to say that's what has happened  ☹️

Is there a main reason why you decided to create a monolithic program to do everything? Personally, I have quite small programs, each handling one loco movement from A to B. Then if I want to run several at the same time, I create another program which consists simply of CHAIN commands to execute the individual programs.

Then if you wanted to create a longer session of say, an hour, you could use the scheduler system to start these "chaining" programs consecutively, so that you aren't using up too much memory at any one time.

Ray

By removing a step it now exits a step later, thus limit is steps.

E-link is not connected so eith Railmaster ( using version from to of forum and clean) or my Laptop.

22/08/16 13:18:52 33:35 Executing: Stop for: HERCULES22/08/16 13:19:18 34:01 Executing: F1: Sound on/off for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 13:19:19 34:02 Executing: Switch left for: Controller: A Port: 001222/08/16 13:19:21 34:04 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 001122/08/16 13:19:23 34:06 Executing: Switch right for: Controller: A Port: 000322/08/16 13:19:25 34:08 Executing: Forward to shunt for: SR T9 GREYHOUND22/08/16 13:19:27 34:10 Executing: Reverse to shunt for: GOLIATH22/08/16 13:20:30 35:13 Executing: Stop for: GOLIATH22/08/16 13:20:32 35:15 Executing: F0: Lights on/off for: HERCULES22/08/16 13:20:33 35:16 Executing: F1: Sound on/off for: HERCULES

The idea behind 1 program is that I can run different eras, by replacing locos.

I can get round problem by having Part 1 and Part 2, but this is more awkward when replacin locos.

However, there should be no limit on steps and in which case Support should be able to resolve the problem. 

• 2 months later...

The situation re loco CVs has worsened, in that although I can program locos with a previously used loco id, and all works in session locos has been programmed, However, I cannot run the locos in the next running session so need to keep reprogramming these locos each session.I am therefore at a stage when effectively I cannot add any new locos.

After 7 weeks I am still waiting for a solution for the original two issues so beginning to think the problem is not solvable.

I would refer you to the RM manual from which this extract, noting the bold highlight:

With RailMaster, you can do the following:-  • Set up and control locomotives from your PC screen (optimised for touch screens, even on Windows XP and Vista - with drivers).  • Use a variety of scales including OO, HO, EM, P4, N (UK and Europe), O (UK, Europe and USA), TT and Z  • View up to ten loco controllers on the screen at the same time for control, dependant on screen resolution (1920x1200).  You can, however, scroll through up to 192 loco controllers in two columns per loco group with an unlimited number of groups. • Control up to 25 sound and light functions for each loco from your PC screen (and up to 25 within programs, based on DCC controller and decoder capabilities). Firmware 1.3 or later is needed for the Hornby Elite.  • Switch up to 2048 points and signals from your PC screen just by clicking  on them with your mouse or using a touch-screen monitor. 

I suggest something is amiss if you cannot reach this loco limit.  

In theory it should not be a problem, but in practice there appears to a limit on program lines and locos in resource file. I think there is a limit on locos with elite.

Anyway testing today

I've used an isolated piece of track and a Hornby TTS loco.

I have deleted locos from my resource file, so I have a small resource file (30 locos) and my original large resource file (60+ locos).

With small resource file I can program loco with an unused ID and loco works.

With large resource file ID can be read, but loco does not work.

I started this resource file delete yesterday and with small resource file the locos now work.

I can only conclude there is a problem with large resource files.

I think there is a limit on locos with elite.

The blurb for the Elite says it can control (therefore store) 254 locos and 255 accessories (points, etc).

If you believe there is a restriction by RM imposing some kind of limit on the Elite then report it in for investigation.

Elite select is limited to 60 locos, I only use Railmaster.

Railmaster support have had 2 months to look into these issues but are as yet unresolved. Everthing works fine with less locos or program steps, so I can only conclude that limits are being exceeded.

RailMaster does not use the buillt in locos database in the Elite so there is , for all practical purposes, no limit to the number of locos RailMaster can control through the Elite.  This is because RailMaster is simply sending DCC commands to devices with IDs on the layout, not using any aspect of the Elite's internal locos/points/signals management system.

We have rosters with hundreds of locos for testing purposes and we know other users have large layouts with far in excess of 60 locos, so this is definitely not the issue.  This applies to both the Elite and eLink.

There could be an issue with a particular loco entered onto your database, so we suggest you add them back one at a time and between each one test them to ensure that everything is functioning as it should.  If and when you enter a loco that then causes the problems we can see if there is anything about it (description, ID, functions etc.) that could have a bearing on this issue.

2 months ago I received the following email

"We now have your plan and will look into this. It may take a few days due to the complexity.We run longer and more complex programs on a test layout we have running six trains, turntable, tipper and so on.Something in your program must be triggering the issue however we will need to run a trace on it, which is time-consuming."

The exiting program issue still remains unresolved.

Have you tried diagnosing the problem with the Resource file?

Can you clarify that the issue could be a description ID or function that is preventing Railmaster programming a loco with unused IDs, but still programs a loco with a used ID.

• 1 month later...

The Resource file issue and program issues remain unresolved.

I am now using a new Laptop, Railmaster, elink and USB cable, yet the system will only recognise 66 locos (6 more than before).

This may be a windows 10 driver issue, but have tried the suggested methods and checked the ini file.

Knap, it almost inconceivable that this is a driver issue.  How would the driver know or care how many locos are in your roster or how many program steps you are using?

Have you tried HRMS's suggestion of starting with a new resource.mdb file (save your old one under another name like resource.old), testing after adding each loco to see if a particular loco causing your problem?

The reason why I think this is driver related is that there is a filw within drivers, USB Installation, that on using with my old laptop had all locos working. However, when I exit Railmaster and then reopen its back to some locos not working.

Tried backtracking with the locos but failed at the same point. I also know precisely when the system failded as the loco was sent back as not working with ID 3, when all was OK with loco.

So have you reported the particular loco back to HRMS as they asked.

And I repeat, still cannot see it being a driver issue.  Seems to me more like an RM setup issue.  I suggest you might read through the relevant sections of AC's site referenced in the top sticky thread of the forum.

Or you could try, uninstalling and deleting the driver, renaming your railmaster.ini file to something else, make sure your Elite is connected and turned on, then reinstall the latest version of RM from the link, over the top of your exisiting installation.  You will then force it to install the correct driver and the correct configuration of the ini file.

Report back on how you go.

All the locos work and I have tested in isolation with a single piece of track and 1 loco.

No Elite just elink. The driver and USB port has been uninstalled on numerous occassions on both laptops and latest Railmaster download.

However, renaming the ini file has not been mentioned, although I cannot see that file in Railmaster dir to rename.

Reading the forum, I noticed the title and thought it was the same problem I had faced recently. Reading through replies, I lost track of explanation as I don't use programmed routines etc. However, I have hit a problem with railmaster not remembering locos.  If I start railmaster with the all loco view, it seemed to not be properly loading details of the last 5 locos or so. You could see them on the screen but got no reponse when trying to control the last few locomotives displayed. It didn't matter which locos they were. If i reordered the locos in the database , and restarted railmaster, it was the last few locos displayed. I have about 65 locos in the database. 

My solution is to group the locos (steam, modern etc) using the function in the set up screen for each loco, and then make sure the view is set to one of the groupings before shutting railmaster down. Then when I restart, I switch to all locos once railmaster has finished start up routine,  and I seem to be able to control all locos.  

Just thought I would post if this solution helps anyone. 

...renaming the ini file has not been mentioned, although I cannot see that file in Railmaster dir to rename.

In your windows (folder) setup you need to have it show file all extensions, the default nowadays is to hide these, just one of MS bright ideas to help us live our lives.

Archived