LOCO ID not being recognised

KNAP

Just to provide some clarity to RAF's post above:

If you cannot see the file extensions in Windows Explorer.

• Open 'Control Panel' and then open 'Folder Options'.
  • Click the 'View' tab.
  • Uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'.
  • Click Window 'OK' button and exit 'Control Panel'.

The file extensions will now be displayed in Windows Explorer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rcik

That is my problem and must therfore be a memory problem between Railmaster and elink. The last few locos are not recognised on loading, so by moving the end locos before shutting down means they will be available when next loading.

I did wonder if grouping would help so I wil try this as a workaround. 

This memory problem is also probably the reason why the program exits after same number of instructions.

On the basis that I have had the elink checked by Hornby and tried a new elink, there must be a flaw in the elink design or with how elink and Railmaster communicate.

Not sure deleting the ini file would help, as I have tried a new Railmaster  set up and reinstalls a few times, and even with grouping there is a need to prepare for next session in advance.

The eLink is purely a gateway twixt RM and the track to translate the RM instructions into DCC data packets. If there is an apparent memory disparity it could rather be in the data rate rate that RM is sending to eLink at and the subsequent onward transmission from there.

Why? Remember the Elite firmware update saga where the problem turned out to be one end was working faster than the other end could cope with. Once this was recognised and a pseudo throttle installed then all became hunky-dory.

Maybe HRMS is looking in the wrong placee.g groups, rather than data flow.

I just wish I was clever enough to extrapolate my ideas into bench R&D to resolve these things.

As RAF indicates, there is no memory problem between RM and the eLink as there is no memory.  On the ini file, updating RM by installing over the top of itself does not change the ini file. Instead of deleting it though, go to the last entry by HRMS in the second top locked thread in the RM forum and make sure you have the correct entries in it.  Also note Chris reports that deleting the 2 lines mentioned and writing them back in at the end of the file sometimes makes them work better - no, I don't understand why either, it's just reported as improving things.

PS1.  The reason I suggested deleting the driver and the ini file and updating with the eLink all connected up on the correct com port and baud rate is that, it is only under these conditions that RM can detect what the correct entries should be and write them there.  If the eLink is not connected, you get the default ini file, not necessarily the correct one, as RM doesn't have the info to do otherwise.  If the ini file is already there, the installation doesn't touch it so, if it was originally the default, it will remain the default until you edit it.  There was method in my madness, but now just edit it as above.

PS2.  Your problem is unusual, haven't seen one like this before.  Even so, my guess is that it is a setup problem (most are), and with unusual ones, they are often best fixed via HRMS, and often by having them log into you machine to look around for themselves.

PS3.  You also don't seem to want to believe what the experienced users are telling you, I could well be wrong of course.  But if there is an element of truth in this, I suggest taking the blinkers off may help.

I have 2 problems

1) Non working locos after 60+ locos in list

2) Program exiting early after a specific number of commands

There are now 2 users with the non working loco problem just on this forum.

HMRS have not solved the problems in 4 months and never mentioned the ini file

HMRS have suggested the elink was at fault - This was checked by Hornby and all working ok.

They then suggested it was not checked properly. but  a new elink made no difference.

They suggested USB cable at fault - new cable no difference

The suggested USB sudsystem at fault - new laptop no difference

HMRS have suggested it was a loco causing the problem but it appears that it is not a loco but how the loco list is loaded.

HMRS have tried to log on to my old laptop but have failed due to an unknown reason.

I have carried out the driver delete process a number of times following the guide. 

A new Railmaster was loaded on a new laptop - a clean install - no difference apart from 1 line required in the ini file was missing, so was written in as suggested.

With regard to the program exit, this happens without the e link or track connected, so can only be a Railmaster problem which would include ini file. However, I find it odd that a program will run for 30 mins and then exit due to how Railmaster was set up

HMRS suggested it maty take time to check this file, but I'm still waiting for an answer, and they have both my Program file and Resource file.

Taking both problems together would indicate somehow Railmaster is causing the problem.

I will try the delete and re write but it would be useful for a step guide to get the order right.

KNAP

Like you, I don't think it is an elink issue as I had to replace my elink unit recently and had problem before and after. If you don't mind, do let me know if grouping and then shutting down from a grouped screen works. I can switch to all locos in railmaster after start up and elink then works for all locos for me.  

I did try deleting, reloading, redefining loco number etc but gouping was solution that worked best for me.

Works a treat, just need to remember to change to small group on exit.

Why HMRS are not aware of this is baffling, as 60+ locos is not a huge collection, and the suggested fixes are both costly in time and money.

I assume there should still be a proper fix for this, and the exit issue with a long program.

Have you tried the Windows Task Manager to compare the amount of memory being used by RM when you are accessing all 60+ locos, compared to the memory used when you open a smaller group of locos?

Also, is your large program still exiting early when you use a small group of locos?

Ray

I am slowly working my way through the 'Desirable Features' Thread that I raised, with the intention of maybe producing a Table in the Thread where Forum Members may be able to advise if suggestions have been included.  

The trouble is, there is so much off topic stuff in there!

Maybe the off topic posts could be removed ...... 

• 3 weeks later...

Philpot, others report that grouping works earlier in this topic.  Can you please report the problem to HRMS via the email facility in the RM Help window, and do so after the problem has occurred so they can look at the resultant log.txt file that goes with your email.

HMRS need to know this is not a one off fault.

Philpot

Grouping works, although the group will probably need to be less than 60. 

However grouping does not solve my long program issue.

Also note that I have changed every component in the system, elink, elink cable, Railmaster and laptop.

It would be useful if you could report to HMRS as they cannot access my old laptop using aero admin, and post any solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived