Samsung Galaxy Tab A9.7 as a hand held controller

JMan

Having had no reponses I thought I would add my thoughts. I haven't  run the Mobile App on a Tab but making it work will require it to have either Chrome v35 or Maxathon or CM browser installed. I have tried the latter two on a Tesco HUDL2 and an LG GPad and was not partcularly successful, especially with the Maxathon. Have got the mobile app working on an old Samsung S3 mini phone which has Chrome v35 as a standard browser. Works fine as a throttle but the small screen size means the track plan is not really viable so have to run it in tandem with a PC for the latter. Swapping between one and the other can be a bit buggy.  

Basically Hornby need to sort out the browser issue as they had to when they had to with the Windows 10 driver issue as at present I don't think the Mobile App is really marketable, at least on Android. Would be interested to hear others' views.

• 3 weeks later...

Using an iPad for handheld control of RM works reasonably well. Depending on what else you have going on with your router I am sure you will find the speed of communication good enough for this intended purpose. At present, there are two forum Members (I am one) who have reported incidents of the pinch and zoom function and point operation not working in landscape mode. In portrait mode, point control returns but you cannot see any throttles. When you start up the software on the iPad always do so with the iPad in Landscape mode. Starting in Portrait mode seems to lock the iPad in that state and rotating the device to landscape has no effect. You will have to close down and start again. If you go the iPad route please let us know how you get on. R-

Interesting outcome. I believe it is time Hornby pull the mobile app for Android as it is clearly unusable as no tablet or phone produced in recent years can run it. Further they should offer refunds to those who have bought it and have been unable to use it. I will kick off the issue with them by asking for a refund and report back.

Archived