Hornby Class 153 (DCC) very jumpy and not running smoothly

DMU mad

Hello all! 

I've been out of the hobby for about a year or two, but have recently set everything back up and running. Track is clean and all locos run perfectly except my 153. It's DCC fitted, however it doesn't run smoothly at all. Instead, it's very jumpy and seems to be quite fast when setting off. 

I've cleaned the track and the wheels, oiled the necessary parts and checked the wiring inside as well as the decoder itself, all to no avail. 

It hasn't been used in about a year and a half, but before that it was running perfectly. 

Any suggestions?

-Eden0032

The standard Hornby decoder doesn't support the CVs that can help with smoother running.

Do you have another decoder you could try?

I dont have any other decoders unfortunately. It never used to be like this, so cant understand what night have changed! 

Thanks for the replies. 

I've set CV8 to 8, as well as CV3 and CV 4 (acceleration and deceleration) to 30, and unfortunately it's still jumping. 

I've noticed that it only seems to be the first speed step. I'm running it on a fairly small layout so will only be using the first 3 or 4 speed steps, hence why it is crucial that it runs smoothly at these slow speeds. 

Are there any other tips that I could try to get it to run a bit smoother like it used to?

After fiddling around with some of the other CV's I've managed to fix it! 

Turns out it was a decoder from the "other brand" after all, and lowering the value of CV 54 sorted it. I also increased CV55 and reduced CV 5 (max voltage) for better running conditions. 

Thanks for the assistance!

Archived