Fitting M7 and N15 with ESU micro sound

swtboy

• 5 years later...

Goodness! I just noticed when you asked the question - nearly 6 years ago! Anyway, I'm about to try just that, but I may use a Zimo decoder, and a sugar cube speaker.

Firstly, getting space. I've removed the loco body, the coal load (a bit fidly, try a pin or very small screwdriver, and the cab roof (gently break gue, it comes off quite easily).

Now we can see what we're up against! Hornby suggest removing the weight in the right hand tank (remove filler cap, undo tiny screw, gently prise off weight which is held by double sided tape. Now we have a bit more room, but there will be no room to replace the weight (it's not terribly heavy anyway). Replace filler cap.

And that's as far as I've got meantime. I reckon that I'll remove the decoder socket, the pcb below, the suppressor and associated wiring, and hard wire the sound decoder. With the posts for the pcb filed off, I believe that some wizard has created enough space for a sugar cube speaker under the chimney! I may try to squeeze the decoder and speaker under the coal load. And I want firebox flicker! We'll see - I'll report back!

Oh! And I'm trying to convert my M7 to a Caledonian Class 439. On the surface quite similar, but many detail differences. I've asked both Hornby and that other manufacturer to make one for me, but to no avail. Yet...

Archived