jh

NickNack32

It is certainly different! The Sentinel company were renown for making unusual steam locomotives and railcars. Personally I consider this one to be one of their less attractive offerings, but each, as they say, to their own, and I do quite like Mr. Bulleid's Q1 class, so we all have our own peculiarities.  This one looks like a narrow gauge machine, probably made for use in one of the Dominions or colonies (South Africa maybe??). As it is an articulated design I guess it is very powerful too.

Not too sure that it would be a commercial proposition as a ready to run, but it might make an interesting semi scratch build exercise using a diesel locomotive mechanism.

I like the looks of that loco...I agree it's not the best looking one, but it's certainly not the worst.

I believe only one was made for the N.C.B. at Seaton Delaval. It doesn't seem to be Hornby's territory - probably Heljan's (but that too is a long shot). Maybe you can get in touch with the owners of Judith Edge kits...they make quite a few Sentinel kits.

This machine was specially built for the National Coal Board (NCB) at Seaton Delaval. The intention was to investigate the use of gyroscopic storage as a potential method for a flameproof and emissions-free underground locomotive. It operated very satisfactorily but was eventually taken out of service because of site development and its restricted field of operation. In April 1965 it was converted for the NCB to a diesel hydraulic machine.

I like the looks of that loco...I agree it's not the best looking one, but it's certainly not the worst.

I believe only one was made for the N.C.B. at Seaton Delaval. It doesn't seem to be Hornby's territory - probably Heljan's (but that too is a long shot). Maybe you can get in touch with the owners of Judith Edge kits...they make quite a few Sentinel kits.

This machine was specially built for the National Coal Board (NCB) at Seaton Delaval. The intention was to investigate the use of gyroscopic storage as a potential method for a flameproof and emissions-free underground locomotive. It operated very satisfactorily but was eventually taken out of service because of site development and its restricted field of operation. In April 1965 it was converted for the NCB to a diesel hydraulic machine.

Is this last paragraph suppose to relate to the picture that was posted earlier? If so then there has been an error.

The double bogie Sentinel loco in the black & white picture is most definately a narrow gauge steam locomotive, whereas the locomotive used experimentally at Seaton Delaval looked very different, as it was a four wheeled standard gauge locomotive similar in shape to a small diesel shunter. I remember it well as it was featured many years ago in the 'Eagle' comic as one of their splendid coloured cut-away drawings.  Sadly I didn't keep it.  Here is a picture of it extracted from the Industrial Railway Society Northumberland Handbook./media/tinymce_upload/ed6e2ff08bced050989187ada94ae3d8.jpg

Is this last paragraph suppose to relate to the picture that was posted earlier? If so then there has been an error.

The double bogie Sentinel loco in the black & white picture is most definately a narrow gauge steam locomotive, whereas the locomotive used experimentally at Seaton Delaval looked very different, as it was a four wheeled standard gauge locomotive similar in shape to a small diesel shunter. I remember it well as it was featured many years ago in the 'Eagle' comic as one of their splendid coloured cut-away drawings.  Sadly I didn't keep it.  Here is a picture of it extracted from the Industrial Railway Society Northumberland Handbook.

Apologies..my mistake! Misread the article

Archived