Hornby eLink DCC

Steamdrivendavy

Hi all.

As a novice to DCC, I'm now testing my new eLink on two co-wired tracks (on the kitchen table)!  Loaded the software (SW) and found the Loco that came with my set (Western Master).  A DCC Mallard is on the 2nd track also found from the drop down menu and also created so I have two Loco's set up.

But, both trains are running from just one Loco control!  I'm not able to get each Loco to run independantly on it's own controller.  Mallard also runs when I tell Western Master to run.  This problem doesn't seem to be covered by the Troubleshooter index of the Guide.

I'm sure it will be a daft SW issue I missed or haven't programmed correctly.  Has anyone else overcome this same problem?  Would be grateful for tips, help or advise. 

If anyone understood any of this, I must've explained it wrong ha. Thank you.

Regards,

Steam driven Davy.

Chances are, both locos still have their default (as they come out of the factory) DCC address of 003. After testing a loco on that address to make sure it works and is fault free, you have to give them a NEW different and unique address that is not 003 (see red circle in image below). Once all the locos have a unique different address then you can control them independently.

See page 34 of the manual.

/media/tinymce_upload/c3e79e69d72d641e712a84456ab3dff4.jpg

REMEMBER: To change the loco address, you HAVE to put each loco (one at a time) on the separate dedicated programming track. So that the new address can be written to the electronic decoder located in the loco. Just changing the setting in the pull down box shown in the image above is not enough.

Additional Information Just for clarity........

I wrote: So that the new address can be written to the electronic decoder located in the loco.

I suggest changing (writing) the new DCC address (with loco on the programming track) by directly writing the address value in CV1 of the loco decoder using the procedure documented in the manual page 69. This involves using the (i) icon (to the right of the loco icon) shown in the bottom left of the image in previous post.

Thank you Chrissaf.

Did as you suggested. I can now run both locos from both controls but still not seperately.  One is 0003 (default) and the Mallard I called 0001   I'm learning slowly but my original problem still remains.

I do thank you for your time already though would be grateful for any more ideas/tips.

Rgds

Davy, I'm betting that although you think you've changed the address to 001, in fact you haven't. 

If you go to the Railmaster (RM) forum and open the second top locked thread, Setting Up and Getting Started, you'll find a post by HRMS giving full instructions on changing IDs to either short or long addresses.  Make sure you have done everything required by that, including the final write instruction to the loco.

Obviously the Mallard has not accepted the change of address to 001.

Review the manual section starting on page 69 regarding READING CV's. Read the loco CV's on the programming track and confirm the value found for CV number 1 (CV1).

EDIT: I, like Fishy above, would bet that it is still showing 003.

PS - If the value read is 255, then this means that RM (eLink) can not see the decoder in the loco. If it can't see it, then it is unlikely to be able to write to it, thus the DCC address will still be at the default 003 value and not 255.

Thank you all  so much for your replies.

When I say I'm new to DCC I really am. I don't know what CV's means.  In fact it gets a bit technical and I look forward very much to learning all this new stuff.  I will download the Manual again (it crashed) and check P69.

Thank you all again for your advices. I'm going to enjoy being in this small community of like minded fellah's.

Kind regards

Davy

CV means Configuration Variable.  A CV work like a selection switch, either turning a feature on or off.  Many CVs can contain a value to determine, for instance, a maximum speed or loudness of sounds in a sound fitted model.  CV29 is a slightly more complicated CV as it controls a number of different things.

Davey, can I suggest you google Brian Lambert and take a look at his excellent DCC pages, not to mention the rest of his site to learn a little more. 

Also, forget about the dumb white arrow in blue box for your replies, make them in the text box at the bottom of the page with the green reply button.

Also, forget about the dumb white arrow in blue box for your replies, make them in the text box at the bottom of the page with the green reply button.

I would much rather have a Like button in lieu of the reply button.

If absolutely necessary a Quote button with some popup instructions for those unaware of how to do that.

Hi All

Please pardon my ignorance but, I notice a reference to a manual from Chrissaf on DCC matters.

As I am about to launch into this system can anybody tell me where I might find this manual - is there a link available to it or is it an online manual to which I will have access when I log in to register my system?

Also, is there a way of thanking those who reply on an individual basis or does it have to be done in block via the forum e.g. reply to all who help?

Archived