Track Cleaning

David55

I am purchasing the track cleaner made by D. Question is do I register this on railmaster as a train to make it work?

As a second question, was there actually anything that ran like this in shape or otherwise. I would like to put something with

it to stop it standing out, maybe painting out the D logo.

Hi David55,
If it's the one I'm thinking of by the D Manufacutre it will require programing as a train, and therefore needing a chip fitting. Don't worry about this though, its DCC Ready so a Chips ready to be plugged streight in!

I don't think

their was anything like this in Real life Railways, bu I think you could used to get it a Netowrk Rail Livery, if you look around you might be able to find one like this.

Hope this helps,

Jacob

Hi
Network rail don't use anything similar looking to the rail cleaner.
They run MPVs which pending on the time of year season can apply Sandite to the rail tops to aid traction grip/prevent slipping. Wash the rail tops with a high pressure water

jet to remove leaf mulch from the rails surface and the can be converted to many other uses too. Hence the Multi Purpose Vehicle name.
But not actually hoovering the track or scrubbing the rails. Though water jetting is perhaps a similar process!
See

this item re some MPV details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_MPV

Hi

Many thanks for both of your replies.

I did purchase the MPV some weeks ago, but it looked so out of place on my set that I took it back.

I think it might look alright if I got the 3 carriage crane and painted the cleaner the same

colours.

All my trains are BR Blue with yellow ends (except a couple of steam). Which train would you consider would go best with them

Hi David55

The D**** trackcleaning wagon (MPV) got a good review in Model Rails survey of track cleaning items. I would have thought that it was an item that you would use periodically, or whatever time-scale you have for track cleaning. Whether

it matches colour-wise, coaches, trucks and locos is irrelevant, if it does the job it was designed for, use it, and then put it away until required again.

There is an online company 'electrarailwaygraphics' who make Vinyl overlays which are pre-cut for windows and sides etc; and they offer a couple of variations in livery.
No painting required. The same method can be used to convert other coach liveries

too
(I have used their First Great Western 'local lines' livery on the Hornby Class 153 - there is no way I could paint it!!'. Other firms offer carboard orplastic sides for various coaches... dating back to HornbyDublo tinplate.
Take care when appying

not to stetch the vinyl unintentionally.
The cleaner was also offered via one of the UK magazines in 'BR' liveries.

Archived