RM Scale Clock

St1ngr4y

Can someone answer something which has amused me ever since I started to use Railmaster? Why on earth is there the ability to use a "Scale Clock"? There is a button to switch it on just to the left of the clock on the main RM display. When in operation the clock runs 76 times faster. My station platforms are about 6ft 8ins long (00 gauge) which is around 500 ft in real life. My trains take about 30 seconds from entering the platform to decelerating to a stop. In a real life station, a similar train decelerating at a similar rate would also take 30 seconds to reach a stop. Why then is there a need to make the RM clock run 76 times faster. My train would take (according to the scale clock) 38 minutes to come to a stop.

Ray

Ah - so it doesn't have anything to do with scale. I was wondering if N gauge clocks would be twice as fast again 😀

How do they deal with the difference between an arrival time and a departure time? If a train departs one actual minute after arriving, would that not be 76 minutes later by the scale clock?

This is all t.i.c. by the way 😬

Scale effect...

have you noticed how model trains wobble very quickly across rough track looking very unrealistic.

If you could slow time down by the scale factor then the motion would look real.

same goes for water effects, like waves and waterfalls, etc.

unfortunately the scale clock achieves none of these for us.

This is what the RM manual says......

"Running a scale clock

The current system scale (OO, HO, N, O for example) is set within System Settings.  By clicking on the scale clock button RailMaster will run the clock at scale speed.  For example, OO gauge is 1:76, that is that the models are 76 times smaller than the real thing.   Pressing the scale clock button will cause RailMaster’s clock to run 76 times faster (OO scale).  In HO scale the clock would run 87 times faster, in N gauge (UK) 148 times faster, in O gauge (UK) 43 times faster and so on.  The colour of the clock numerals will change to remind you that the clock is running at scale speed."

I wonder what Albert Einstein would have to say if he was a member of the Forum 😮

Archived