Southern S15

g_ray

The S15 model is less than a year old and there is plenty of time for Hornby to extract the most out of their tooling. Another green one would certainly add to the attractiveness of the class, and of course there are a number preserved in this livery, as is 825 (formerly 841) on the NYMR, which might encourage sales..

/media/tinymce_upload/92e45dc6e238240580558e5af9bc3275.JPG

Hi

I wonder if a Urie S15 version could be made from the current tooling, as the Urie group based at Mid Hants are getting near to getting 30506 back together and may be in steam next year with a target of getting 30499 in steam by 2020. It would be great to have an original made version as well as the Maunsell version.

The Urie S15 is remarkably dissimilar to the Maunsell class. The boiler is pitched lower  (about 5 inches) and the running plate is dropped after the cylinders. This gives a taller chimney which is quite noticable. The cab is also of the Urie type, not the 'Ashford' profile which allowed universal route availability. The bogie is further from the leading driving wheels too, only 5 inches but in these days of accuracy this could matter.

Whether these differences can be catered for the existing tooling or not I do not know, but I would not expect so.

Archived