Decoders for Hornby Select controller.

cashfan1

Imho it's best to stick with the basic Hornby decoders as the Select is very limited in what adjustments it can make to CVs to get the best out of other decoders.

If you upgrade to the Elite then you have a vast choice of decoders and a much better controller.

Welcome to the forums cashfan.

Due to Select's non-compliance with the NMRA DCC standard, you are only guaranteed Hornby decoders will work with it.  That means the 8249, the X whatever the number is 4-pin equivalent of the 8249 that comes in smaller DCC fitted locos, the Sapphire and the TTS sound decoders.  And if you want to use it with TTS, you'll need it at firmware v1.5 to access all of the sound functions. 

Select is is known to work with some other decoders and not with different other decoders.  You'll find some comment on these in various forums including these if you do a search.  But as Flashbang says above, firmware 1.5 may have changed things such that more now work.  Some Bachmann decoders are known not to work or require more advanced CV settings to work smoothly, all beyond the Select's capability.

As this is the Hornby Forum then the answer is .... Hornby ones!

There are loads of other suitable decoders, but TCS are/were not recommended for use with the Select.  Not sure if that still applies to the latest Select firmware version of 1.5 though??

Flashbang, I don't think the Select v. 1.5 firmware will work with TCS decoders. My Select was upgraded by Hornby last autumn and refuses to operate a couple of my locos which have TCS decoders. I can't be 100% positive but in any case I would recommend to Select users that they stick to Hornby decoders to avoid problems. Thanks for the info anyway.

Archived