Elink and 4 amp supply

Fozzy Bear

People seem to think that an increase in available power (amps) is damaging. No, any device will only take what it needs. (Faults excluded!) What can do damage is asking more from the power supply than it can deliver. (Try towing an artic trailer uphill with a 2CV).

An increase in VOLTS will be damaging, if you go beyond what the device is intended to use! (Imagine putting a car sidelight bulb into a mains light socket - POW! )

But please realise that a short will now put 4 amps through the short, no longer 1,. And that is a difference....

Not a problem.........the overload cut-out will still activate just the same.........all the Elite users have the 4amp supply, no one has flagged this a problem....... 😀.......HB

People seem to think that an increase in available power (amps) is damaging. No, any device will only take what it needs. (Faults excluded!) What can do damage is asking more from the power supply than it can deliver. (Try towing an artic trailer uphill with a 2CV).

An increase in VOLTS will be damaging, if you go beyond what the device is intended to use! (Imagine putting a car sidelight bulb into a mains light socket - POW! )

Yes, some people think that. In my case, I was unsure if the elink was designed for a 1 amp supply only.

Rob (RAF96) explained it in a previous post and I have no reason to disbelieve him as it makes perfect logical sense and can be proven or not as the case may be via experimentation.

It was explained that the controllers are built with the internal power management circuits to suit the 4 amp supply. Thus a short circuit current will be controller protected by the shut down within the controller itself.

However, since the 1 amp supply is unlikely to reach the internal controller shut down trigger point, the 1 amp supply has its own lower current shut down circuit within it to compensate. Thus in a short circuit situation the controller loses power on its input instead of switching off its output.

This theoretically should make it easier and more efficient to short circuit recover when using the 4 amp supply as the controller itself will not need to reboot when the short is removed.

The explanation I was given Chris is that the 1amp power supply drops voltage in an overload situation causing the Select (in the case under discussion) to reboot when the overload was removed.

The eLink being able to use either power supply is likely to react in much the same way as the Select, but as there is no screen to monitor during a reboot then I cant say for sure.

A drop in current at the power supply with the same output voltage would not be likely to reboot the controller as from memory at idle these controllers only draw some 10s of mA.

Time for someone to do a bit of bench testing...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived