Pendolino problems solved?

Fozzy Bear

I was given a digital Pendolino a while ago and found that when trying to change the address, RM would not read the decoder. Everything always came up as 255. Ran it for a while, tried again but then it just died. I thought it was a broken wire to the motor but just packed it away for another day.

That day was today and still the same problem. I got the poops with it and just left in on the track with the throttle open and went to get a beer. When I got back, it had started creeping along and gradually got faster and faster until after about 4 minutes, it was at top speed and ran perfectly.

Stopped it and the same thing happened. I thought "there is something familiar about the time" then realised 4 minutes and 15 seconds is 255 seconds. Somehow, after reading the chip and getting 255 for the acceleration, I tried to change the address but the 255 acceleration was written back into the chip. Did a reset, ran it on address 3 and away it went.

It seems the trick to these chips is "Don't read them" . Just write whatever CV you want to change and leave it. Kind of odd I thought but it works.

Archived