layout help

nomode

Hi all Im new to all this and building a track for my dad thats too ill to do it himself , anyway i dont have a clue really even doing lots of reading up on here .The setup is running Dcc and also have a reverce loop dcc thing ,a dcc controler 6 way for the point motors and railmaster to run it all .this is the layout i have come up with . not sure its going to work and no clue on where to put the reverse loop  or any cut of joints ( if needed ) if anyone could draw a diagram for me showing what i need to get this running so 2 trains can run in the opposite directions and then cross over to no head on crashes , that would be great :P

O i have not cut the tract or joined it incase i cant do this , so no way of playing around with it .

http://i66.tinypic.com/14w3m7a.jpg

Kekind regards David

At a quick glance, the reverse loop is the inside one on the right, around the tape measure, between the points.

You would need to put plastic joiners (irj's) at the single end of the point, top right inside, and at the right end of the straight part of the point, bottom left.

The reversing loop module can then connect anywhere on the right hand loops, one set of wires (the controlling or master side) to the outside loop, and the other one, the slave, to the inside loop.

How to stop trains crashing into each other- until the promised detection system is available, you have to use your eyeballs and skill!

What are you using as the base-board? Whatever it is, it needs to be on a rigid frame, so the boards can't sag or twist.

No doubt other readers will have other ideas or comments.

/media/tinymce_upload/c69939cf3f4c77a6eed64d449e6e3cb1.jpg

Hi David, the section marked in pink is your reverse section. You would need to put your irj's where the pink starts and finishes and connect the output of your Reverse loop module to this section of track. The section of track marked green is the same polarity as your outer loop.

Good luck, hope all goes well and you have lots of fun.

Peter.

Hi David, hate to disagree with the others, but putting the isolation where you show it on your diagram will give you a short. You need to isolate the "SECTION THAT GIVES YOU THE REVERSE". This is the section of track I marked. Placing the irj's where you indicated and the others have said will give you both your main supply and reverser feeding the same track at the points = SHORT CIRCUIT. The section of track on the inner right (marked green) is just a conventional loop.

PS I have just used capitals to emphasie the important parts, I am not shouting as per normal convention.

Peter

Putting the RLM in the green track section will not work, because of the points at the 1pm position. Because of the orientation of these points at the top, there are in fact two reverse loops that both share the red track section. Putting the RLM in the green track section only deals with one of them. At first glance, I thought Fishy was correct too, but after careful checking (finger tracing left and right rails around all track sections) I now see that Woody is correct.

Is more proof needed?.......see below.

/media/tinymce_upload/321433c9f77db9aeaff89fc4cc0dca64.jpg

Hi

Golden rule of any reverse loop is that the longest ever complete train - a loco all all its carriages or wagons , must fit inside between the entrance and exit IRJs (Insulated Rail Joiners). The red area probably will only hold two carriages and a tender loco and is possibly too short in length.  

On your track plan... You need six Insulated rail joiners.  Simply fit four IRJs to the rails of the point that leads into the loop (bottom left) one pair on each rail end and in each direction at the frog end of the point.  Then fit another pair of IRJs to the point thats forming the cross-over pair of points loop to main line at the top of the reserve loop fitting them on the loops points turn out direction rail ends. This then isolates the whole of the loop from the rest of the layout.  

Connect the output pair of terminals of the Reverse Loop Module (RLM) to the loops rails, ideally to the right of the top point if possible. Note: No other rail feeds from the DCC system should be connected anywhere to the loops track.  

Connect the Input pair of terminals of the RLM to the DCC bus pair or to the rails where normal DCC rail power is available and it's not switched by any other points.  (As shown in your sketch)

I will attach a drawing, but it takes for ever to get it published!!

Archived