dsf

NickNack32

Looking at the layout on the Jadlam website, it looks pretty comprehensive with the double oval, sidings and turntable, plus the RM, eLink and Flying Scotsman (I'm assuming with a decoder fitted). It doesn't include an Elite and as Nick has said, it isn't needed.  You cannot put 2 DCC controllers on the same layout.

If I were thinking of extending, I would first put a second crossover between the 2 ovals going the opposite way to the first, so you can go from one oval to the other and back without reversing the train.  If then extending in length and width, I would put a third oval around the other two using fourth radius curves and 2 crossovers using express points, not the standard in this kit.  This will minimise any derailment problems with large locos and you can also run trouble free with smaller locos on the inner second radius curves oval.  You may have some derailment problems with large locos on the inner loop, depends on what locos you decide on.  The combination of standard points adjacent to 2nd radius curves is where there might be issues.

This layout is nowhere near needing a power booster, even when extended.  In fact, start with the eLink 1 amp supply and see how you go, you may eventually need to upgrade to the 4 amp, but suck it and see.  My rule of thumb on boosters is you don't need one until the layout takes up both car spaces in your double garage.

PS.   I suggest you give up on using that blue reply button in someone's posts and just use th big text box and green reply button at the bottom of the page.  Easy enough to address me as Fishy and Nick as Nick without repeating our posts back.

It's not so much the size of the layout but the connectivity through fishplates that can limit either of the basic Hornby DCC controllers AND most critically the number of engines particularly sound-equiped engones that draw power, those sounds being the way to go and an important feature of DCC. Additional wiring buses directly from controller outputs to further portions of a layout will enhance operations by ensuring better distribution of power.  As your roster grows and power demands multiply a booster may be a solution that is not immediately necessary.

Hornby Railfan on the other side of the pond

I agree it's not size as such, and all of the factors mentioned are relevant.  However, size is a good first order proxy, especially for some newer modellers who wonder on here whether they need a booster.  After all, on the layout filling your double garage you have room for enough track complexity to run more locos and accessories simultaneously and to have more demanding power distribution needs such that more than one power district and hence a booster make sense.  So I'll stick with my rule of thumb for now.

And on Ram's proposed layout, it is nothing more than a double oval with a few sidings and some longer than usual track runs.  Chances are the eLink's 1 Amp supply will be adequate for him for some time.

Archived