Railmaster engine database update?

fac

As new engines were released, from experience i had reason to believe railmaster was automatically updated to accommodate selection. However having recently purchased R3395 TTS  Mallard A4  No 4468  there is no selection available within my raimaster pro locomotive selection. What am i doing wrong or how do i update the engine selection database?

If your particular loco is not in Hornby's master database (the one on their servers) yet, then there is nothing you can do to force it to be. If the loco is in the Hornby master database, but not in your installed copy of RM. Then that would mean that you are not running the very latest RM loco database on your PC. There is no way to check off-line what locos are or are not in the Hornby master database. Thus the only option is to download the latest installer from the link at the top of the RM forum section. Ignore the stated update date (currently 5th Sep). This installer was updated, but not documented on the 12th and again on the 17th Sep. It is likely to be updated silently again in the future as well, so don't rely on the documented date shown in the forum as an indicator of the installers revision status.

In theory, you shouldn't need to manually run the downloaded installer just to update the loco database. HRMS have stated in this forum that RM performs a check at start up and downloads new locos to the database in the background. I recently observed a very brief flash of such a message in red text appearing in the bar just to the right of the program running indicator during RM start up (just prior to RM performing the initial point setting routine). The RM PC should, of course, be connected to a functional Internet for this to occur. Thus, if you are Internet connected and you still cannot find your loco in the RM database, then it probably hasn't been added yet.

PS - When searching the database for a TTS loco, I believe it is best (I don't have any TTS locos to confirm) to only search on the base R number (R3395) or the base R number suffixed by a T (R3395T), putting in too many characters such as searching for the full name "R3395 TTS" may not get an exact match and give a nil return. When searching........ 'less is more'.

• 4 weeks later...

It would appear that my update problem was courtsey of windows 10 update. It would appear most of the files were read only and would not allow full access. Windows appeared to have this problem on windows 7 however not wishing to become a windows expert i removed my railmaster icon. The whole of my system then would not boot correctly, having corrected this and used my back up drive from railmaster pro i found that i had lost my pro access and was back to basic with no track plan. Having filled in the form to allow pro access i now await confirmation. I love Hornby, i have built a system for my grandson? and have great fun running it by voice control it is an amazing system. ( a little more information on suitable point decoders may have helped especially when Hornbys were non available however the merg decoders operate my twenty surface mounted points reliably.) What does annoy me is why did Hornby not do an amendment to instructions for pro pack rather than inserting them in what existed causing further confusion to their interpretation.  It is neccersary to read the information you do not want to obtain the information you do require. I have just read that when saving set up from pro you need to tick the box for track plans ? Surely the only real need for back up is to retain independent changes made, why else would you back up? Hope i ticked the box when i backed up otherwise i have many hours work, surely this should have been mandatory? Perhaps i should have used the easy option of running the latest railmaster file but the latest version download check can save a lot of messing about. As i have just discovered.

Download v online?  These are the same except the online only happens automatically when there is a version change, not a revision change, except for such things as loco database and maybe the manual.  If I get your drift, maybe some more easily from you may explain what you mean better?

Archived