Elink Power supply

Col821

Hi All. 

Extremely new to DCC, and live in Perth, Western Australia, but please do not hold that against me.

I purchased on line from a UK Hornby supplier an eLink controller and Railmaster software, "from a train set, but new" .  The supplier assured me they would send the power pack with an Australian plug.  But you guessed it, it arrived with a UK plug.

My question is,  I have a Toshiba Laptop charger that has the same plug, 15VDC and centre pin positive,  but it has 5AMP current rating.  Can I use this to power the eLink or is 5AMP too high ?

I have read the elink can take a Hornby 4AMP charger so am curious.

Thanks Colin

Colin, no, sorry, you can't use it. Elink is definitely max 4 amp. 

I too thought 5 amp should be ok. I even used a top quality DCC Concepts psu, but first track short blew the elink completely. It then blew a second Elink the same way before I gave up and moved to a different product. 

NMRA standards say DCC supplies should be capable of at least 5 amps but I guess no one told Hornby. 

Hi again.

Thanks Jjeffs.

I have just been through my OLD laptop chargers and found a Brand New Toshiba laptop charger that is 15V 4amps centre pin +ve.

Different one to the first charger i found.

From what you say this should be ok then.      15Volt  4amps .....

Colin

Can't you just cut off the UK mains plug and fit a mains plug of a suitable type for your locale?

Much less risk of doing any damage......as the supplied elink PSU is 1 amp.

Can't you just cut off the UK mains plug and fit a mains plug of a suitable type for your locale?

Not that easy... In Australia that is against the law.  You need a licenced Electrician to modify the plug.                   I could at a cost of $19 buy an International plug adapter,   but as I have the spare chargers,  and I assume Laptop chargers are of a better build quality than wall plugs,  i was hoping.....

My option would be to telephone Mark Lodge at hornby, and check. If they approve ok, if not, he will send you the right one. Tel  01843 233 525. Only deal with Mark, if not there, he Will phone back. That way, your warranty is covered. john

Not that easy to cut the plug off a wall-wart Chris, doesn't leave you with much to work with.

ELink is rated to work with a 4A power supply and many people use one so if you have a Toshiba 4A power supply with the correctly polarised connector it will work with the eLink and when a track short circuit occurs the eLink will cut out as it is meant to. 

Archived