Using Elite SW with eLink Controller!

Steamdrivendavy

Hi all, me again.

Can I please ask if anyone knows whether I can load and use the Elite software (SW) disc to drive an Elink Controller?  I bought a new CD as I invalidated the one coming with the set.

I loaded it onto my new, and old Laptops.  I then later read that the SW becomes invalidated after loading onto a second PC.  My (expensive) mistake.

Thank you all.

By Elite Software & eLink Software I assume you mean RailMaster.

It is EXACTLY the same software whether connected to an Elite OR an eLink. In the RailMaster 'System Settings' window there is a pull down selection box where you select either Elite OR eLink.

Interestingly, there is also a Select option in the pull down selection box, but this must be an error as the Select does not have a USB port on it for connection to a PC. I can only assume that as RailMaster development is outsourced by Hornby to a software company that maybe there were plans for a USB equipped Select at some time that never went into production.

Bill, I suggest not activating the spare copy until you have to. That way the CD Key will stay valid for use on any PC platform. If you activate it on the spare laptop, you never know when that laptop may fail. After all, you are effectively paying the £5 for the key, not the application.

Bill, I suggest not activating the spare copy until you have to. That way the CD Key will stay valid for use on any PC platform. If you activate it on the spare laptop, you never know when that laptop may fail. After all, you are effectively paying the £5 for the key, not the application.

Thanks Chris yes I bought two so I could keep one in reserve. Although Hornby are very good at releasing a copy when your platform fails. Platform note the pun!

Just expanding on this for OP Davey, the software does not become "invalidated" by loading it onto a second PC/laptop.  You can load it onto 25 if you wish but it can only be activated on one at a time (2 in your case as you now have two licences).  You can deactivate on one PC then reactivity on another.  It returns to Trial mode when deactivated, although that mode will only operate for 90 days.

If somehow you have lost the activated copy and you get told it's already activated when you try to activate elsewhere, just email HRMS from the email facility in the Help window of RM and they will fix it for you.  You can do that from your new copy, just make sure you tell them the details of your lost licence when you do.

Thank you all very much for your kind advices.  Though I didn't mean to start a whole new chat line on the Lone Ranger ha... :-)

Ok then!  I can load my new CD onto as many PC's as I like and simply use 'evaluation' till it expires.  Now I get it.  I'm afraid I'm not exactly 'techie' minded - unlike my two sons.  I hope to buy a new Laptop soon so I can then use that to load my new CD and then authenticate same.

BTW...  Whilst learning all about this DCC stuff with Railmaster SW., I've also had problems loading my other DCC trains when trying to change their default ID via the CV feature. It reads as far as showing the 9 digit number, then says 'error'.  And that's as far as I can get with any of my other DCC engines.  So I still can't run two trains seperately.  Please see my previous string.

I know I'm using up a lot of goodwill now, but any more advices please would be welcome.  Thank you again very much.

Davy

Davey, please remove your CD from whatever drive you have it in and drop it carefully into the nearest waste paper bin.  Do not remove it again.  But do make sure you keep a copy of the licence code.

The CD is completely useless as it isn't the latest version.  To install the latest, go to the link at the top of the RM forum.  Don't uninstall anything first, the latest just goes over the top of what you already have there and all of your loco lists and track plans that you have will be there after you update.  Assuming you installed correctly as Administrator in the first place, you don't have to do this again either, it will still be as Administrator after the update.  Please do this now for all copies you have on PCs and laptops, definitely before you do anything else.  If you want to load RM onto a new PC or laptop it hasn't been on before, again do it from the link but this time make sure you run as Administrator  

Now also in the RM forum, second from the top is a locked thread with Setting Up and Getting Started in its title.  A few posts down in it, you'll find one originally posted by HRMS with full instructions on changing loco IDs.  Follow that and see how you go.

Archived