Sound stutter

rugbyboys

Hi all, i recently bought a Hornby A3 from a large well known retailer who fitted a sound decoder, but it has never worked properly from the word go, if you turn the controller up slowly    ( Hornby Elite ) it accelerates ok until it gets to what I would call normal cruising speed but then it starts to stutter and crackle if you turn the controller down again so its runs slowly its fine, I have returned it to the supplier and they came back and said that the couldnt find anything wrong with it and they said that it must be a dirty track which I despute because I do clean the track every time before I use it, also i have another fifteen locos all DCC all with sound and they all run absolutely ok and I have told them this but they are adamant that there is nothing wrong with it, could anyone shed some light on this for me.

Is there anybody you know who also has a DCC layout you could test it on. The more evidence you collate, the better the chance of getting the supplier to take ownership of the issue. Thus, if you could video the same issue occurring on two different layouts and also show your 'no issues' locos running fine on the same tracks, then the supplier would have to take your concern more seriously.

I have no sound issues with my Loksound V4s so I cannot offer any suggestion of what might be wrong. I don't recall this issue being reported previously on the forum either. Probably the reason why responses to your question have been thin on the ground.

I’m too inexperienced to advise on any technical issue but I would urge you –as previously suggested – to take the loco to a MR retailer or your nearest MR club who have a DCC layout. If the problem persists then video the loco with the problem as well as one of your other locos that runs fine. This evidence is vital.

On what date did you buy the faulty loco ? You may need to cover your position if you intend to return the item to the retailer for refund as there are strict time limits under The Distant Selling Regulations and Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Roy

Archived