Power supply for split board

MattyJ

This is a newbie question so I apologise for my probable stupidity.  i am about to construct a baseboard, having read various comments I am happy enough on how I am going to do that.  I am intending to basically build two 8ft by2 ft tables and join these together to get an 8 by 4 layout.  Logic behind that is I can move the layout from garage to house when required, this way I can fit it through doors.  But if I do this, then presumably I will have a power supply one side, the wires may go to points, but presumably because the layout is going to be splittable I won't be able to wire both halves?  Do I need a second power supply for the other side to do those points?  Is my idea just wrong? The layout will be DCC, not sure if that makes a difference.  Help? Apologies for my idiocy in this field, I need an expert!!

thanks

Matty

The DCC part of the layout must share the same controller, thus the same power supply. The normally accepted way of transferring wiring across a baseboard joint is to use a plug and socket arrangement. However, most plug and sockets you can buy are meant for relatively thin wires.

A lot of people use the product below. It is cheap (relative to other plug & socket products), flexible (you can trim each length to the number of connections you require), can be used with thick wires and most of all, easy to install as the wires connect to screw down terminals (no soldering required).

/media/tinymce_upload/15a7c2fb3025777bc1123108c340e932.jpg

https://www.rapidonline.com/camdenboss-ctsn431-12mf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RMx-CAMDENBOSS-10A-Terminal-Strip-CTSN433

The above are just examples....Google "Pluggable Terminal Strip" include the " " marks.

Note: The top one is for the smaller 6 amp strip (recommended), the bottom link is for a physically larger 10 amp strip.

Hi Matt, whatever method you decide to use , you might want to look at "howbinmans" post and photo in      " joining a layout to a removable section"   General forum , 7 days ago. well worth including at butting of the boards. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Your proposed board size of 8 feet by 2 feet is very large and unless you have a helper or two you will find it difficult to manoeuvre without damaging any scenic items.  A more manageable size is 4 feet by 2 feet.  Some people have tried 6 feet by 2 feet but even that isn't easy single handed.

The DCC part of the layout must share the same controller, thus the same power supply. The normally accepted way of transferring wiring across a baseboard joint is to use a plug and socket arrangement. However, most plug and sockets you can buy are meant for relatively thin wires.

A lot of people use the product below. It is cheap (relative to other plug & socket products), flexible (you can trim each length to the number of connections you require), can be used with thick wires and most of all, easy to install as the wires connect to screw down terminals (no soldering required).

/media/tinymce_upload/15a7c2fb3025777bc1123108c340e932.jpg

https://www.rapidonline.com/camdenboss-ctsn431-12mf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RMx-CAMDENBOSS-10A-Terminal-Strip-CTSN433

The above are just examples....Google "Pluggable Terminal Strip" include the " " marks.

Note: The top one is for the smaller 6 amp strip (recommended), the bottom link is for a physically larger 10 amp strip.

That is perfect, something to look at, I did try googling, but I was getting all manner of rubbish.  Probably due to my searches.  Thanks for taking time to reply, I shall look into that more.

Your proposed board size of 8 feet by 2 feet is very large and unless you have a helper or two you will find it difficult to manoeuvre without damaging any scenic items.  A more manageable size is 4 feet by 2 feet.  Some people have tried 6 feet by 2 feet but even that isn't easy single handed.

Fair point, I will have a helper, but I will look at sizing as well.  A fair point, had not really thought about damage while moving.  There is lots to think about... my poor brain!!

Matty, as a newbie you are limited to three posts in 24 hours. It probably would have been better use of your limited number of available replies if you had lumped all the comments you wanted to make into just one post. It is not necessary to address each forum responder individually.

Not sure how long the three post restriction applies for (it was introduced to combat 'junk post auto-bots'). But I believe the limit gets lifted 24 hours after your third post, or thereabouts.

As a newbie poster, just to give guidance and for your information the white arrow in the blue box is not a 'reply to this post button'. It is a 'quote this post' button. A quote duplicates the original post unnecessarily.  All you need to do is scroll down to the bottom of the page and write your reply in the big empty 'reply' text box and click the 'Green' reply button. There are very few occasions when quoting the full text of a previous post is necessary.

If you want to aim a paragraph of text at a specific individual, just precede it with a manually typed name such as the examples I give below:

@Chrissaf

@MattyJ

@Rog(RJ)

@gitter

Matty, as I said before. It is not necessary to re-quote the post you are replying to. Just use the reply text box at the bottom of the page.

With regard to the Google search. The inclusion of the " " marks is important. As it means that Google is forced to only provide EXACT matches to the search term typed in.

For example click this link:

"Pluggable Terminal Strip"

Archived