Voice control of uncoupler

stephen_warnock

Hi I am trying to use a timed relay to isolate sections of track in a fiddle area. Once a loco has moved from one of the fiddle lines the tracks are isolated so following locos stop in the correct position. I can do it manually with a decoder output as an uncoupler or a point switching from right to left, but I am trying to incorporate it into voice controlled route. I cannot find a way to operate an uncoupler with voice control? There does not seem to be a way to incorporate the relay into a voice controlled route. any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve

On page 92 of the RM manual it states that the Hornby uncoupler is operated using a point motor.

The full list of supported commands are given on pages 64 - 66 of the RM manual, the coupler is not in the list.

Given that the Hornby coupler is operated by a point motor, then I would suggest that from a voice control perspective, you would treat it as a point and use the voice 'point' commands.

In other words, it doesn't matter what the physical device is; a point, a coupler or a relay. If it is connected to a Points Accessory Decoder then from a voice command perspective just treat it as if switching a point.

I use a bit of bent wire, and the command is "Where've I put the ***** thing?"  😛

Oh Eric, 3609 posts and you still haven't read the Forum Guidelines.

Shame on you.

I call for suggestions on how you should be PUNISHED if you misbehave again. 😇

• No profanity or foul language. This includes using stars (*) or other characters instead of letters. Any un-called for language will be removed and repeated offences will be punished

Actual, thing., other thing, silly thing.  Lot of nonsence about nothing, as we have no idea of  2eOds, word. I suggest the one who should be punished is the one whose mind conjours up an other 5 letter word, which may be inappropriate. john 

On page 92 of the RM manual it states that the Hornby uncoupler is operated using a point motor.

The full list of supported commands are given on pages 64 - 66 of the RM manual, the coupler is not in the list.

Given that the Hornby coupler is operated by a point motor, then I would suggest that from a voice control perspective, you would treat it as a point and use the voice 'point' commands.

In other words, it doesn't matter what the physical device is; a point, a coupler or a relay. If it is connected to a Points Accessory Decoder then from a voice command perspective just treat it as if switching a point.

Hi Chris I have tried using the point command to switch an uncoupler but it does not work. To get the relay to work an uncoupler graphic button works, so does switching a point graphic from right then left, but neither will work on a route, cannot use the same point twice in a route. The command "set route" works great but cannot seem to include switching the track section power with it.

Thanks Steve

I've read your original post time and time again, but I can't just seem to get my head round what exactly you are trying to achieve. I am sure it is the same for others too. Fully understanding the issue first, is key to suggesting solutions.

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve in more detail. What is this relay doing, a schematic would help.

Maybe in this context uncoupler is not for disconnecting wagons from loco but for disconnecting a section of track from a power source by way of a relay.

what physical device is switched by the screen button to operate the relay, accessory decoder, loco decoder or something else.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that I had already figured out that it was not a traditional coupler (for uncoupling wagons). That the coupler device was in fact a relay (using the term coupler in name only for the purpose of using a RM icon in the track plan), and that the relay was probably disconnecting track power ????. It was exactly how it was wired up and the sequence of timed events needed to achieve the end result that was stimulating my request for more info.

By understanding what the chronological sequence of events is needed to achieve the desired outcome, then maybe, just maybe some lateral thinking might devise an alternative solution to the one Stephen was proposing.

@ Q4, since when was jolly a profanity?  :-)

I had read the rules, but it was so long ago I'd forgotten that bit!

I'm a member of many clubs and forums, and they all have rules to abide by, so they must number in the millions. Nobody can remember every little detail of all of them!

If anyone was offended, I apologize.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that I had already figured out that it was not a traditional coupler (for uncoupling wagons). That the coupler device was in fact a relay (using the term coupler in name only for the purpose of using a RM icon in the track plan), and that the relay was probably disconnecting track power ????. It was exactly how it was wired up and the sequence of timed events needed to achieve the end result that was stimulating my request for more info.

By understanding what the chronological sequence of events is needed to achieve the desired outcome, then maybe, just maybe some lateral thinking might devise an alternative solution to the one Stephen was proposing.

Hi chris you are correct above. the decoder output (in whatever form) is to switch a relay, which temporarily breaks a permanent 12v supply to a timer relay, this powers 4 hidden fiddle area sections of track for 60-80 seconds. Allowing selected loco/s to move from the fiddle area and then isolating the same sections so that new arrivals in the fiddle area will stop in the same position. It all works fine on the railmaster screen it is just trying to activate it using voice control. I do have a solution even though it was not what i was after. It is the following voice commands. (for example). I originally thought I could include the first action as part of a route in some way, but it does work as is

"Point 49 right left"

"Set route fiddle 1 to main"

The "Point 49 right left" voice command fits in with my earlier reply suggestion. Your 'work-around' would seem to require two separate voice commands to be issued rather than one. So in my view not a hugely significant inconvenience. Your issue would appear to be resolved, even if not as you would have ideally hoped.

Thank you for the status update and feedback.

I may be wrong but I believe  ProPack allows you to run a program on the back of a turnout or signal command.

If so could your point voice command not trip the route via a short program.

The only complication is if you want that point to act as a point only at some other time, without tripping the route.

The relay system works well as that is how I operate my points using the dcc to pull the relay which fires the point via a CDU or I can switch manually.

Am I missing something? (Nobody shout screws!) As it is a DCC layout, why do you want to isolate a section?

Unless a DCC loco is commanded to move by the controller, (whatever form it takes), it will just sit there, no matter where on the layout it is.

By isolating the fiddle-yard, all you will do - disregarding the complication - is save a few milliamps of power that the 'idling' decoders take. And, of course, if a 'sound' layout - by isolating, all the sounds as well as lights will go off, so you can't leave the diesel ticking over, or the steamer sizzling, and depending on the decoder type, if you interrupt it partway though a sound cycle - when the power is restored, it will continue to shut down, or whatever, before anything else will happen.

Actually, this has given me an idea which I wish I had thought of when I was laying my track. As I've mentioned lots of times before, I run my trains with the help of Railmaster programs. Because timing is so critical in this regard, each program expects the train to be run to start at exactly the same position every time. I have a set of 8 hidden sidings (hidden from visitors but not from me !!). I have a strip of wood bridging all 8 tracks at one end of the sidings, and this is where I align terminating trains "manually" so that they are in the correct position for the next program which runs them.

I could put IRJs across all 8 tracks making an isolated section, say, 12" in length on each of the 8 tracks. These sections could then be attached to the track bus via a solenoid-operated relay. Then in my programs, when a train is arriving back at the hidden sidings, the relay could be operated (as a point in RM) to switch off the power in all of the isolated sections. The train would then stop in its own isolated section at exactly the same place every time. Then the program could  then send a stop command to the loco then terminate by throwing the relay the other way to restore power as its final command.

This method could also be employed for station stops, but the complication there would be with sound locos which would become silent until the power in the isolated section is switched on again.

Still, I might give it  a go ....

Ray

Having read my previous post again (and without an edit facility available) I have spotted a flaw in my logic in that the stop command to the loco wouldn't reach it while the power is switched off. But maybe if I send the stop command to the loco one second after restoring the power to the isolated track ......

Ray

... The train would then stop in its own isolated section at exactly the same place every time ...

Is there an advantage using this method over just running the Loco slowly into a buffer (in my case or a piece of wood in your case).  I guess that seeing as the Loco's are operated from within RM, they are always travelling at the same speed and therefore the stop position should be about the same as each time, however, with the wood or buffer method, it is exactly the same each time. I run my Loco's into the buffer so slowly that it is not really noticeable.  The only thing that could do with improvement is the fact that the wheels still rotate for a few seconds after running into the buffer, or am I missing something else?

Hi RDS,

My piece of wood doesn't act as a buffer. It actually bridges the tracks and I stop (manually) the trains underneath the piece of wood, the front of the locos for clockwise trains, and the end of the last coach or wagon for anti-clockwise. Of course, the more sophisticated solution would be Loco Detection sensors, but I might try RM controlled isolated sections as a stop-gap solution.

Ray

Archived