Advice on fitting Hornby decoder to a Sentinel

Jimbo1707820979

For reference: Service Sheets are on this web site. Hover mouse cursor over the "Help & Advice" link at top of this page (White text on Red background). Then choose 'Service Sheets' in the drop down menu that appears.

For earlier Service Sheets below numerical 200 then use this external web site:

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/index.asp?button=button2&servicesheets=none

Jimbopuff,

I have fitted a 4 pin decoder to my Sentinel and don't think you would be able to squeeze in anything bigger. I've also connected a small wagon to improve power pick-up/reliability. There was a thread several months ago about these but I can't remember what they're called! I've just taken a  photo of the sheet that comes with the loco explaining how to remove the body and fitting the decoder. I'll load the photo separately but it will take a while to get approved. Hopefully the text will be legible, if not ask and I'll type up a brief summary.

Jimbo, subject to which browser you are using. If you 'right click' 37L's lower image, you should get the option to open image in a new browser window or tab OR save to disk. The new browser window / tab option should then allow you to magnify the drawing. Alternatively, the 'save to disk' option would then allow you to open in any 'image' application to magnify. I found my 'open in new tab' option (Chrome) made the text on the instruction sheet fully legible.

Thanks indeed, 37lover and Chrissaf.  Using my Mozilla Firefox browser I have saved the diagram. Very helpful. I think I would have had trouble removing the body without that help. So I feel more confident now when the decoder arrives. It will be only my 2nd go at installing a decoder.

About the extra wagon for better electrical pickup. Good idea, I have read posts on this subject. I will work on it. Thanks again. 😀

Also not wanting to hijack the thread but I had the privilege early in my working life to be part of running contracts which developed the facility in which Cochlear's first ICs were fabricated to produce the first bionic ear implants, significantly changing lives for so many. 

@ 37lover and @ Fishmanoz

You are both very kind, Gentlemen. Problem is that I am 87 next month and not very wealthy (putting it mildly !) If I were younger I would certainly have a go at that.   Luckily, I have only been stone deaf for the last couple of years.   Before that it was ever stronger hearing aids. One perforated eardrum probably flying over Chile/Colombia in some old crate.  I used to "collect" airlines and aircraft types. !    When you are young you think you are indestructible . 😆

Archived