Error

Taff Man

Could anyone please help or advise me to a problem I have , I'm new to model railway an have just started to do my lay out. When I got my train set and a couple of extension packs it made 2 loops and worked fine now I'm adding track to make it much bigger the problem is when I made a small loop on part of the track I get an error message when I make the loop, I've tried changing the points and track but keep getting the error message there are other lines running around the loop but not connected to other lines I have had a train running on the lines but when I made the loop up comes the error message it's only a small loop would that have anything to do with the problem ? 

Welcome to the forums Taff

There are a couple of things that could be wrong:

1. You have crossed some wires linking the new loop.

2. You have created what is known as a reverse loop, where the line comes back on itself and the left rail becomes the right rail, causing a short.

How to fix it:

1. make sure any linking wires connect inside rails to inside rails and outside rails to outside rails - see How to use track extension packs guide at the top of the General Discussion area.

2. Put a piece of different coloured tape on each side of a truck and push it round the track to see if the tapes apparently swaps sides. If so then you have a reverse loop wcich means you have built a short circuit into your plan.

Taff Man,

Have a look at my PDF document titled "Getting Started with track Extension Packs". It is downloadable from the post of the same name located at the very top of the forum 'General Section'. It specifically covers situations where points in track ovals create 'short circuits'. It does not however cover shorts created from 'reverse loops'. None of the standard Hornby track packs A to F (if it is any of these track packs you have fitted) create a 'reverse loop'.

If your layout does not follow the track plans in my document (i.e you have modified them). Then if you were to post a drawing of your track plan (doesn't need to be anything fancy, hand drawn will do) we would be able to advise if you have inadvertently created a 'reverse loop' or not.

If you have accidentally created a reverse loop, this can be fixed. The fix is relatively easy to do if under DCC control by fitting a 'Reverse Loop Module'. If however your layout is Analogue DC, it can still be fixed but would require a little bit of wiring modification and is slightly more onerous to do than with DCC. If you do post an image of your layout for us to assess for reverse loops, then please also state whether control is DC or DCC.

Note: To post an image use the black & white 'hill and moon' icon to the left of the 'Smiley Face' at the top of the reply box. As a newbie poster, the posted image reply will not appear straight away. It will be sent to the forum moderator to be checked first. Being a Friday, the post with the image may not appear until Monday.

In my document have a look at Figure 12 and also Section 8) Troubleshooting your layout.

EDIT: Hadn't noticed till now that RAF had already directed you to my document in his reply.

Welcome to the forums Taff

There are a couple of things that could be wrong:

1. You have crossed some wires linking the new loop.

2. You have created what is known as a reverse loop, where the line comes back on itself and the left rail becomes the right rail, causing a short.

How to fix it:

1. make sure any linking wires connect inside rails to inside rails and outside rails to outside rails - see How to use track extension packs guide at the top of the General Discussion area.

2. Put a piece of different coloured tape on each side of a truck and push it round the track to see if the tapes apparently swaps sides. If so then you have a reverse loop wcich means you have built a short circuit into your plan.

Taff Man,

Have a look at my PDF document titled "Getting Started with track Extension Packs". It is downloadable from the post of the same name located at the very top of the forum 'General Section'. It specifically covers situations where points in track ovals create 'short circuits'. It does not however cover shorts created from 'reverse loops'. None of the standard Hornby track packs A to F (if it is any of these track packs you have fitted) create a 'reverse loop'.

If your layout does not follow the track plans in my document (i.e you have modified them). Then if you were to post a drawing of your track plan (doesn't need to be anything fancy, hand drawn will do) we would be able to advise if you have inadvertently created a 'reverse loop' or not.

If you have accidentally created a reverse loop, this can be fixed. The fix is relatively easy to do if under DCC control by fitting a 'Reverse Loop Module'. If however your layout is Analogue DC, it can still be fixed but would require a little bit of wiring modification and is slightly more onerous to do than with DCC. If you do post an image of your layout for us to assess for reverse loops, then please also state whether control is DC or DCC.

Note: To post an image use the black & white 'hill and moon' icon to the left of the 'Smiley Face' at the top of the reply box. As a newbie poster, the posted image reply will not appear straight away. It will be sent to the forum moderator to be checked first. Being a Friday, the post with the image may not appear until Monday.

In my document have a look at Figure 12 and also Section 8) Troubleshooting your layout.

EDIT: Hadn't noticed till now that RAF had already directed you to my document in his reply.

@Taff

To reply please ignore that blue Reply arrow and just type in the plain white box at the bottom of the screen and then hit the green reply button, this avoids the system repeating all the codswallop I typed in earlier.

Rob

Taff Man, as a newbie poster you are limited to only three posts in the 1st 24 hours. You will be able to try again tomorrow. As RAF says please avoid using the White Arrow Blue button, this is NOT a 'Reply to this Post' button. As RAF says, use the 'Reply' box at the bottom of the page. Had you used this the first time, then you probably wouldn't have wasted two of your three initial posts.

The three post limit for newbies was introduced to combat rubbish posts initiated by Internet 'auto-bots'. Scams and phishing. I think you will find that you will be able to post without restriction from post 4 onwards, after the 24 hour timer has expired. The 24 hour period gives forum admin time to block and delete the account if it is being misused.

Archived