Weird problem reading Cvs

Morning people, I've got this weird promlem reading the CVs on my new (2nd hand) class 55 deltic. I stick it on my programming track  and it reads all the cvs from a hornby chip.

Then i save it and it's there and looks good. The problem is that when i select that class 55 in Railmaster nothing happens, but it does work if i select my class 50? I decided to delete both and just install the class 55 - dead as a doe doe

Have you had a look inside the loco? Is the decoder plugged into a socket or is it "hard-wired"? I'm thinking one of the connections from the decoder to the motor is broken, whereas those from the decoder to the track are ok. You may be able to read the CVs ok, but no power getting to the motor. I know with some decoders if there is no motor load then you can't access the CVs, but I'm not sure if this is the case with a Hornby decoder.

Ray

"Then i save it and it's there and looks good."

I'm not sure what this means.  Could you give a better explanation of what is actually happening.

You talk about reading the CV's and saving them but you don't mention writing them back to the loco before you save them.

If you have read the CV's and changed some (loco ID for instance) then you have to write that information back to the loco before saving.

Have you had a look inside the loco? Is the decoder plugged into a socket or is it "hard-wired"? I'm thinking one of the connections from the decoder to the motor is broken, whereas those from the decoder to the track are ok. You may be able to read the CVs ok, but no power getting to the motor. I know with some decoders if there is no motor load then you can't access the CVs, but I'm not sure if this is the case with a Hornby decoder.

Ray

Hi Ray, No, I've just bought it second hand and then put it straight onto my programming track. It did work using the other locos credentials though. 

Firstly it would be good to find out the manufacturer of the chip. In a lot of cases you overwrite whatever value is in CV8 with an 8. There are though some chips that require a different value. If you are using Railmaster then you can read CV's 7 & 8 and you will get the name of the manufacturer and the version of the chip (if it's in the Hornby database, which is within RM). When you know that you can go to the maker's website and get the reset code. If you have a different control system or get stuck with anything come back here with any detail you have been able to get and we'll help further. R-

If you select your Class 50 and your Class 55 works, that is telling you they have the same loco DCC ID.  You need to put your 55 on the programming track and follow the correct procedure as per the manual to select and write a different ID to the decoder.  There should be no need to reset the decoder to do this, and if you happen to be using a Select controller, you can't do a reset anyway due to the Select's limitations.

PS.  Your 50 perchance isn't set loco ID 003 is it?  That would mean both of your locos are on the default decoder ID and you've yet to change them.  If so, write a new different ID to both of them, one at a time on the programming track (or if using Select, with only the one you want to change on the track, not both).  Then when you buy another new loco, you can run it on ID 003 to test it without the others interfering.  Then change the new one too.

Maybe Chris would like to write one of his excellent guides that will explain the basic steps a newcomer needs to take to get his locos running on DCC using the three Hornby controllers. (these locos and controllers are likely to be in a boxed train set and should come with instructions anyway but...).

Maybe I wouldn't...... 😛 🤔 😉

Seriously though, re-writing the manual based upon what is in the existing manuals is plausible, but the best way to write a tutorial is from actual practical experience. The two DCC controllers included in sets are eLink & Select. I have access to neither to gain any experience on. Granted, the RM element of eLink is common to my RM/Elite setup.

PS - and as you said before Rob, the Select method of operation has changed with the different firmware levels adding a further complication to the task.

Archived