TTS Sound

geoffrey_taylor

I want to adjust the 'chuff' rate on a couple of TTS sound fitted loco's. It is presently very unrealistic.  I see someone has helpfully posted a copy of the Manual supplied with the Class A4 but this is of limited scope mentioning only a modest selection of CV's.

The 'chuff' rate CV is adjustable on all the Zimo & Loksound decoders I use and I would have thought the same would apply to this offering.  Maybe not!! 

If it's not in that posted manual I posted the link for, then it is not adjustable. Remember, TTS is a budget sound decoder, Zimo & Loksound are not.

As far as I know you can't adjust the chuff rate on the tts but I could be wrong ,I've got a few myself so would like to know if you figure out  how to do it ,there is a cv on the instruction manual ,,it is something like the chuffing / coasting sound ,could that be it ?,,,,

A quick look at Soundtraxx specifications will tell you TTS decoders are definitely not rebranded Soundtraxx. TTS stands for Twin Track Sound meaning the decoders have 2 only soundtracks, one for runnning sounds and the other for all the function sounds which can be played one at a time on this single track.  Soundtraxx decoders are 12 or 16 track depending on whether you are looking at Econami or Tsunami, end of argument.

You get what you pay for in these TTS decoders, meaning the £25 or so price gets you a lot less than an £80 or more full specification sound decoder, and the only CVs supported are the ones included in the pamphlet with the locos.

F17 which is the chuff/coast function merely toggles the main sound from chuff to idle and back again To simulate a loco working a load then gearing back on the level, then leaning into the load again as it meets a hill or accellerates.

Maybe I am insensitve but once a wheel is turning faster than a few revs per minute or the loco is further away than arms length chuff matching is meaningless to me.

The other thing is the majority of TTS sounds are probably all based on Tornado, the most likely recording candidate around at the time TTS was being developed, which is a 2-cylinder engine so anything with more cylinders is probably studio-shopped to suit.

Hi Geoff,,,,Are you running your TTS locos in 128 speed steps because if your not it won't sound right ,,,,,also I wouldn't have thought they were a rebrand decoder ,not after all the hype from HORNBY regarding a new development from their engineers ,anyway try 128 speed steps ,,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned that the decoder is a rebranded Soundtraxx.  So their user giude says it is CV114 watch this space.

The Soundtraxx guide says CV114 can be adjusted between 0 and 255. 

Guide says the 0 setting means the auto-exhaust facility is disabled.

Now tried to read/write CV114 on the TTS decoder.  Value reads as 0   Doesn't want to accept a write of any value.  Remains reading zero.

So if you are looking for realistic 'Chuff' timings TTS doesn't cut it.  

Geoffrey, hi i think you are trying to make a silk purse, from a sows ear. Hornbys posh sound locos, have a  better set up. but the budget range TTS ones are fine, in my view, for most. I am content with them. Rather have 9 budget ones, than 3 posh ones. john

Geoff, if you want to use the blue quote post button rather than the much more sensible text box at the bottom of the page and green reply button, please don't confuse things further by writing in the yellow quote area, write under it and start with a carriage return please.

Archived