Dapol dcc track cleaner

Yelrow

Now then, post for the Brains Trust.  Have just bought a DCC fitted Dapol track cleaner. In order to run it, it needs both loco cv, and Dapol cv in RM, plus speed of motor, for Vacuum cleaner entering. So its a sort of consist, with attitude.  How do i go about setting this all up. If its any easier for  you guys, happy to set up with Elite. Answeres on a postcard please. john

John

I just give mine its own address as I want to be able to run the hoover at a different speed from the tow truck motor, hence I would not recommend a consist.

Once the decoder is installed in the Dapol cleaner and addressed (from the Elite if its easier for you), list it in RM as usual as if it was a loco (RM even has a picture for it  - D800) and then set up its cruise and shunt as or if required (I have my hoover shunt speed set to 50 and cruise set at 100, - - for sandpapering/buffing you may want to run it much slower, but I never use that facility).

Hook it to any loco tow truck, select shunt or cruise on either/both and off you go.

If you really want a consist then when the cleaner is listed in RM pick it from the consist setup list along with its tow truck loco and give them a consist number e.g. 1 if its your first consist.

Instructions are reasonably clear John regarding taking it to bits for installing the decoder, then its same as any other loco, except this one drives the hoover rather than the wheels.

I playing trains all afternoon so will pickup as required.

Rob

I wouldn't bother for fluid if it's for the Dapol John. They are great at hoovering but not rail top cleaning. If you anticipate employing your forefinger and a piece of lint free cloth that is different. R-

Roger, my knee jerk reaction was to agree with you. I too thought the Dapol was just a glorified vacuum cleaner. However, having looked at the Dapol web site (see link below) the Dapol does indeed have a cleaning fluid reservoir. Not sure how effective it is compared to the likes of CMX and Sharge UK, but it does accept Dapol's own fluid in it.

Extract pasted from the Dapol website on their cleaning fluid page.

"Dapol do not recommend IPA, alcohol or other solvents as these are hazardous in operation and contain traces of water which may impair performance with long term use."

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=177_62_61&product_id=1039 

This on-line product review also confirms the support for Dapol's own cleaning fluid.

http://modeltrainsonline.co.uk/2012/01/18/dapol-oo-gauge-track-cleaning-wagon-b800-review/

That is exactly the point really Chris - although able in terms of function to clean the rails it is just not very good in terms of performance. The CMX (00 anyway) is very good at this but just too heavy for any of my locos' to push/pull around. So, I sold that and now have a Sharge, which is ideal. R-

The Dapol cleaner pot is very small and the brass damper thing metering hole is such that it empties the pot in no time at all so mine isn't used for that.

The sanding disk and polishing mop just changed my points as it went over them derailing the cleaner, so that isn't used either.

End game is mine is relegated to hoovering only and a good job it does too.

IPA is as good a cleaning fluid as any in my opinion John, from your local pharmacy and/or most supermarkets, usually  under the guise of rubbing alcohol.

My local pharmacy wouldn't sell me IPA (didn't think about the rubbing alcohol ploy) so about 4 years ago, not realising how little I would need, I purchased 5 litres of Ebay. I've still got 4.85 litres left  😳 R-

My friend has a CMX that I could borrow, but I chose to buy my own Sharge UK cleaner before the recent price increase (£60 instead of £90). I must admit, and both you (Roger) and Rob have confirmed, I have never heard anything particularly good about the Dapol unit. I agree with you, the Sharge is very good.

I wrote a long detailed (as usual for me) review of the Esso Sharge on the website (see link below - click the review link located on the page when it opens). After posting my follow up review about a month ago. George (Sharge UK) rang me at home that evening to discuss it (the follow up review didn't get published as a result of the telephone conversation). Anyway, it transpired that George (in his 80's) is scaling back his involvement and handing selling and distribution over to Digitrains UK, but only the black Sharge cleaner unit (see very bottom link). Thus George's website may disappear in the near future. He will then just focus on making the black cleaners 'to order' for Digitrains.

http://www.model-trainstrack-cleaner.co.uk/product/00-gauge-track-cleaner-esso/

Digitrains (Black Sharge unit).

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/dtcoo-oo-gauge-track-cleaning-machin.aspx

PS - As you can probably imagine I was very surprised indeed to get an unsolicited call from George out of hours at home that evening. We had a long discussion about his engineering background and how the cleaner product came about and his rationale for the product in the future, given his advancing years of age. A very interesting telephone call indeed.

Gosh - they have gone up a bit haven't they? I think the new price is still a bit cheaper than the CMX though and I would say still well worth the money. Website still operational today (so I sent a quick "enjoy your retirement" message). Thanks for the heads up Chris - good to know, especially when anyone asks on here  about track cleaning. R-

i went to my local pharmacy, and learnt the french for No Chance. Taint important, as i  bought it for the hoover. I have yet to find a translation for Rubbing Alcohol. john

Its  - l’alcool à friction Tell  them you want to massage aching muscles (accompanied by a lot of hand waving, etc) -J’ai envie de masser les muscles endoloris.

WTD,I know, thats RAFS translation, and that was my chemists reply. He got out an enormous Tome, looked it up, said special order, and priced at 73 euros. It matters not, as dont really need it now, but just shows difference in products. Nobody will post to france, and i can wait for next uk Car visitor. Tis interesting though. john

@John

I know you are sorted on this, but I was in my local supermarket this morning and couldn't resist picturing this in the cleaning department - just to rub it in (sorry):

/media/tinymce_upload/623cc07af8a344d955f5b8afe4c732f7.jpg

The stuff I bought was the Red Cross one which is 100% pure according to the label.

They make the Keo bottles more expensive than Vodka to stop the Ruskis buying it to drink.

Archived