Reading CCV's

Hi all.

I'm having problems getting my Railmaster software (SW) to read CV's after I load a new DCC engine!  I use 0001 to ID the train (not 0003).  But when the DCC decoder in each train is being read, I keep getting the message 'error - repeating'.  No matter if the train in question is DCC fitted when made by factory or added to later - same result.

After all my previous issues with my Railmaster, I'm thinking I may just use the train that came with the set, and forget the rest, then mix my layout with good old DC. but surely this would be a shame if I can't use all the Railmaster features on offer.

Can anyone out there tell me if I'm making an error or do I have yet another SW 'glitch'.  In anticipation, I thank you.

Davy

Some questions:

1. Is it Railmaster & eLink or Railmaster & Elite?
  2. What decoder brand and decoder part number (some non Hornby decoders are known to have issues)?
  3. Can you confirm that the loco is on the programming track, directly connected to the controller 'A&B Prog' output?
  4. Have you tried it with some extra weight on the loco pushing it down onto the prog track?
  5. Have you tried doing it with the controller main 'A&B Track' output disconnected?
  6. If an eLink, have your got the Alternative comms=1 and Check controller=1 lines in your railmaster.ini file?

Hi Chris.

Answers in bold.  Thank you again for helping me out. :-)

Some questions:

1. Is it Railmaster & eLink or Railmaster & Elite?  RM and eLink.
  2. What decoder brand and decoder part number (some non Hornby decoders are known to have issues)?  Not sure how to find that data!
  3. Can you confirm that the loco is on the programming track, directly connected to the controller 'A&B Prog' output?  Yes it is on the Prog track.
  4. Have you tried it with some extra weight on the loco pushing it down onto the prog track?  No but I will give that a go.
  5. Have you tried doing it with the controller main 'A&B Track' output disconnected?  No but I will give that a go.
  6. If an eLink, have your got the Alternative comms=1 and Check controller=1 lines in your railmaster.ini file?  Sorry Chris but I'm not sure what this means - it's a bit techy - sorry!

Re: Item 3.

Yes, it is on the Prog Track, but is the prog track directly connected to the eLink prog output. In other words the shortest possible direct wiring and that you are not using a switching arrangement to utilse a siding or other part of the main layout for programming activities.

Re: Item 6.

In RM. Open the 'HELP' window (top navigation bar ?). Then open the 'ABOUT' page. On this page is a COG icon. Click the COG and follow on-screen prompts to open the railmaster.ini file in the inbuilt RM .ini file editor (this file is a text file used by RM to set certain parameters). The file is described in your 1.64 RM manual on pages 32 & 33. Each configuration entry is on its own individual line of text in the file.

Look for:

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=1

If one or both entries are currently set as =0 then edit them to read as =1. If they are not there at all, then type them in manually as written above (each on its own separate line at the end [bottom] of the file). Save the file and exit. Close and reopen RM making sure that the eLink is detected OK and you can still operate a good known working loco using it, then test CV reading again. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Steamdriven davy

It's been a few days now with no further comment. Does this mean that your CV reading issue is now resolved. If it is, what did you do to resolve it.

Archived