What Makes Analogue locos burn out?

81F

I have a Class 29 diesel and am at a dead loss on how to fit a DCC chip as track power is still getting to the motor despite sisconnecting the wires yet there seems to be no bovious connection like dome of the tender drives with live chassis so I m wondering is it the 20 volts or AC current?

If it is just voltage could I wire a resister in series with the side of themotor I know I can isolate?

If yes what value?

I was thinking the same as WTD but I thought that usually those Loco's with a Split or Live Chassis do not have separate 'wires' going to the motor but the motor connections meet directly with the Chassis.

(I don't understand your comment about 20 volts or AC current)

To answer the question in the title, analog motors burn out when connected to a DCC track because full DCC voltage is applied all of the time. If this is done when the loco is stationary, then the full voltage is across just one of the 3 or 5 motor windings and will burn it out.

To answer the question in the op, no you cannot add a resistor, it will not help.  You must isolate the motor from the chassis and the pickups.  If you give us the R number of the loco and what sort of motor it has, then we can help you to isolate it.

The chassis may be plastic but what about the bogie with the Ringfield motor?

Look up Brian Lambert's DCC pages where he covers conversion of all 3 types of ringfield. 

The bogie frame is plastic in fact both bogie frames are plastic. The motor bogie and the dummy bogie are metal. I bet he has got the wheels in the dummy bogie the wrong way round

As Fishy said what is the R number. With this we can locate the associated service sheet and make a proper assessment rather than guessing about it.

If its SS228 then the ringfield has a live frame and needs the associated brush insulating per normal conversion practice using a nylon screw.

Although its not possible to put the motor bogie wheels in the wrong way due to the gears as TL23  says it is possible to swap over the dummy bogie wheels or even install the wiper block the wrong way round making for a short.

Archived