Bit of help with DCC for a total beginner

vlatheimpaler

Hi,

I am currently lloking to procure a very special christmas present for a relative who has had a tough time of it recently.  Basically, I have got everyone to club together to get a 00 gauge trainset; somehting this 65 yr old has always wanted.  I am a newbie at this, and I don't want to get burned buying a 'dead end' starter set. 

It is clear that DCC is the way ahead; but I am having problems with the guy in question  being happy with railmaster/elink.  I can provide a mini laptop to use for free, but he is a conmputer-phobe.  He feels that he wants a DCC controller; and this is really tying my hands togther in choices of set.  The 'Majestic' set looks to be killer value @ £230, vs the 'Mixed Freight' set @ £130, which is the best I can find with a DCC controller.  Once you add the extra set packs to make it worthwhile you are at £200 or so anyhow.

Is it possible to buy the basic Hornby DCC controller seperately, and add it to the Majestic set?  I know that the Elite is the best bet, but we can't stretch to that and the Majestic.  Any views on this approach?  Are there other/better DCC controllers around, that are not £200 plus?  Are there alternatove sets available?  Am looking for 2x engines/trains (ideally better than 'Jinty?' sized), plus more track than just an oval with a siding.

All views very welcome.

Hi vlat, welcome to the forum..........The Select controller bought seperately can cost £89.50 from Rails plus the PSU @ £16.99 totals £106.49 add that to the Majestic set @ £230 totals £336, no longer good value.........so, consider the Digital Freight Set @ £135 which includes 2 locos and the Select controller & PSU leaves you plenty of change to purchase the Track Packs for a better layout and some more stock.........for additional locos at bargain prices look at Hattons and Rails of Sheffield, they always have some Hornby stock available.......... 😀.............HB

Majestic set, which several of us have, is great value, but you have with it Railmaster, plus Elink, for laptop control. You could of course, buy this set, and pick up a secondhand select, controller from ebay. There are many available as people upgrade . The locos are very good with Majestic and there is a lot of track. You could recover the cost of the select by selling RM, plus Elink , of course.  But for  an easy  life, Digital Freight, could be the way to go. john

Argh!  I don't know what to do!  The Majestic seems like such good value, what woith having 2x full size locos and all.  Do you think that adding a Select plus PSU (not sure which one is needed) is going to make life difficult?  I'm a long way away, and I don't want lots of 'help' phone calls.....

Would this give me everything needed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Brand-New-R8213-Digital-DCC-Select-Controller-/162271319199?hash=item25c81fd49f:g:T34AAOSwMVdYHy2D

That Select with psu on the ebay link is very good value........it would do exactly what you want, ie run the Majestic set without needing the Elink........just plug in the psu to the Select, connect the output lead to the track and off you go..........you will need to change the loco addresses as they are usually set as 003.......this is easy as per the instructions in the Select manual...........change one to 001 and the other to 002..........HB

Just noticed this listing on ebay has ended, looked too good to be true..... ☹️

Archived