Deltic destruction

Spireblade

I have a Railroad Class 55 which stopped working for no apparent reason. On further investigation I noticed a dreaded track pin jamming the wheels. Once freed, I tried to run it again to no avail. My thoughts were that I had blown the decoder but trying it in another loco it seems fine. I tried the decoder from the other loco in the Deltic.......nothing.

Is it likely I could have killed the motor?

I have taken the decoder out and tried it on a DC line.....still dead.

Yes but did you replace the decoder with a wired through blanking plug. The motor will be dead on DC without a blanking plug fitted to the now vacant decoder socket. The blanking plug is wired across between the power in and motor out pins to pass power through from the pickups to the motor.

EDIT: In response to your later post below. My post edit window still open. The wire near the middle wheel probably goes to a wheel pickup.

I have taken the decoder out and tried it on a DC line.....still dead.

Yes but did you replace the decoder with a wired through blanking plug. The motor will be dead on DC without a blanking plug fitted to the now vacant decoder socket. The blanking plug is wired across between the power in and motor out pins to pass power through from the pickups to the motor

Try downloading the service sheet (probably HSS334) and it will give you a good idea where the wiring is attached.

Basically there is a wire from the pickups on each side of both bogies leading to two opposing corners of the DCC socket and the other two corners attach to the motor brushes - small metal tags rather than to the motor can. There may be a capacitor that is soldered to the motor across the brushes but it doesnt show very well on the service sheet if there is one.

Archived