Advantages between 8 pin vs 21 pin decoders & fitting them to non DCC ready locos?

AlexPW

My son is about to launch us into DCC so on the non DCC ready locos that will need decoders fitting which is better? He would like sound but won't be going mad with fitting lights and loads of functions.

So will 8 pin decoders produce sound?
How

do you know if the decoder current rating is okay for a loco (all locos are no older than 8 years)

Hornby and Bach***n sound fitted locos use the ESU LokSound decoder V4 in newly released locos. These are a 21 pin fitting. This is because the 21 pins allow connections to the speaker to be made via the locos main circuit board. Speaker outputs from the

decoder being transferred via two of the 21 way pins. Normally pins 9 & 10.

You can obtain LokSound decoders in 6 pin (Mini version) or the more normal for "OO" 8 pin version plus and the 21 pin LokSound decoders. On the 8 pin version the speaker connections

are directly taken by two wires from the decoders main board and do not pass by the 8 pin plug.

If your installing a decoder into a non DCC Fitted loco then I feel the 8 pin version would be easier only if you really wish to obtain the NEM652 8 pin

sockets and fit these yourself.
Normally, in non ready locos, the decoder would be 'Hard Wired' into the locos wiring and the two speaker wires connected directly to the appropriate speaker. 4 to 16 OHM with the LokSound V4 decoder.

So, for converting

a Non DCC Ready loco the 8 pin version would be my choice and then cut off the 8 pin plug and solder the decoder wires (Hard Wire it) into the locos wiring as per normal for any other DCC conversion.

Sorry I meant to add.. The Standard ESU LokSound decoder is rated at 1.1Amp while the mini at 0.75Amp.

Both should be fine with virtually all modern locos. Helj*n perhaps needing the Standard decoder as their loco do tend to consume more current

under load.

You can access and download all the user manuals for the ESU LokSound range via the internet. http://www.esu.eu/en/

Archived