Runaway train!

DaveU

I am having occasional issues with losing control of trains. Despite moving the controls or even using the 'all stop' the engines continue to move - with massive problems! The only way to stop is to pull the power to the elink unit.

I am running Windows 10 but have tried it in the trouble shooting mode with similar results. Any ideas.

I am also occasionally getting a message that my elink is not being recognised - this goes away if I power down and restart it.

It sounds as though your PC is not communicating with your eLink correctly.  The most common reason would be that the USB port driver is not installed correctly.

You should reinstall the Windows USB serial port driver by doing the following:-

1. Go into the Windows Device Manager and open the Ports (LPT & com) heading. If the controller is not recognised it may by under a different heading with an error or warning.2. Right click on the entry for the device and choose Uninstall.3. Also check the box to delete the driver (important).4. When the driver is uninstalled unplug the USB lead and wait five seconds.5. Plug the USB lead into a different USB port on your computer, ensuring it is not plugged into a USB hub but directly into the PC.6. Wait for Windows to download and install the driver afresh.7. Set the Bits Per Second to 115200 and note the com port assigned by Windows8. Go into RailMaster and set the com port for your eLink in settings (Also ensure you have actually selected the eLink as your controller)9. Ensure the two lines "Alternative comms=1" and "Check controller=1" are present in your RailMaster.ini file. You can edit this file by going into the Help/About screen in RailMaster and clicking on the cog symbol.

If that doesn't do it then you may have either a faulty USB subsystem on your PC or a faulty eLink (or USB lead). You should try a different USB lead and if it still doeasn't work try the eLink on any other computer to rule out either a faulty eLink or your original PC. Note that some PCs runing Windows 10 are not 100% compatible with the Windows 10 USB driver (nothing to do with RailMaster, but Microsoft).

I have had the same problem occuring when moving the throttle slider with the mouse. For some reason, it seems to get "stuck" to the mouse and will still move up and down when the cursor is on another part of the screen. Clicking here and there will free it up but then the loco will not stop, no matter what you click on.

My "fix" is to never move the slider, but click above or below it to move it. Other than that, I use the shunt and cruise buttons or set the speed with voice control (pro pack).

It is a bug in the Railmaster coding that has been reported many times but still persists.

Archived