Pickups how they should look???

pidge456

Hi everyone, i'm not very smart on the mechanics of DCC trains so can someone tell me how the pickups should look on a loco, what should they be touching and where? I have just brought a basically new Fowler 4-4-0 TTS from ebay and am having real trouble with running. It seems to stop start all round the track as though it is not picking up power at various points, maybe not the pickups but they seem to be sticking out into thin air. Any advice would be appreciated. 

The detail of pickups varies from loco to loco, but if of the typical wheel pickup variety. Then the copper looking strips should be touching the back of the wheels. And stay in contact with the back of the wheel as the wheel and axles move from side to side.

A close up photo of the pickup sticking out into thin air would help.

Hi Pidge.........the pickups on the loco wheels are parallel to the sub frame so cannot stick out......you are probably looking at the 4 sand pipes which are pointing at the flanges.........but note that the the tender's 6 wheels each have a pickup which should guarantee smooth contact anyway............HB

Download any service sheet to see typical pickups but get the exact service sheet for your R-number and you should be able to work out what is what.

Essentialy little metal fingers rub on the back of certain wheels. The more wheels that have them the better The pickup of current should be.

Archived