H S T problem

Furnitureman64

You say the track is clean, but are the wheels and pick-ups?

When you activate the sound funcitons, are you waiting long enough for them to start up and do whatever, before asking the loco to move?

Which controller are you using? If it is the Select?

Do you have a lot of lighting or other electrical gizmo's running from the controller? If so, you might need a power supply that delivers more amps - ie the one for the Elite, which delivers four amps, against the one with the Select that can only deliver one amp.

You say the track is clean, but are the wheels and pick-ups?

When you activate the sound funcitons, are you waiting long enough for them to start up and do whatever, before asking the loco to move?

Which controller are you using? If it is the Select?

Do you have a lot of lighting or other electrical gizmo's running from the controller? If so, you might need a power supply that delivers more amps - ie the one for the Elite, which delivers four amps, against the one with the Select that can only deliver one amp.

Thanks for your observations. My initial feeling was that with all the lights in the carriages etc there was a power drain. Tonight I have taken every bit of stock off the tracks of which there is a lot. The hst is running much better with the odd stutter which I am checking track at these incidents. Will continue with this exercise to hopefully get the best running properly. Will let you all know how I get on. 

Hi, Fm, please don't use the blue button to reply, as you can see all you've done is repeat 2e0's post, use the text box at the bottom and the green Reply button.

Not sure that current overload is going to cause stuttering, more likely controller shutdown, although your latest post seems to indicate it may be a problem (I started mine before you posted your last).  However, delays etc may be a problem so suggest you reset both power and dummy car decoders by writing 8 to CV8 and see if that makes a difference.  That will put 128 speed steps as the default, and the correct accelerations/decelerations  etc into the decoder.  You will of course have to reprogram the loco ID you want back into both decoders as they will be back to 003.

Of course if you have a Select, you can't do that.  In fact, you can do very little with sound locos with Select unless you send it to Hornby to have its firmware updated to latest so you can access more functions for all of the sounds.

So tell us some more about what controller you are using and what sound chip and we can give more specific advice.

Just an update. No matter what I tried, cleaning tracks, points, checking all joints etc etc etc the stutter was still there. Took it back to the shop today. They took the body off and found a very loose wire which was causing intermittent running. They also checked the engine on their test track and were not happy with rear wheel alignment. They will repair this week. Will report if all is OK. Thanks to all for your suggestions..

Archived