Wiring Details

Ravens

From memory SCARM  allows you to build in layers so you can split your layout into boards, track, lighting, signals, etc for clarity and the author Mixy (Myleen Peev) is very helpful.

When you think you have got it all done you can view it in 3-D from all angles and find out where your gradients mismatch With big steps in the track.

The best thing about it is its free, although you can donate if you wish.

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your links, we will look a these in depth. 

New question

I like the priciple of buildng my rack layout on the pc using railmaster software combined wih contolling my points system.

Going down the Elite route please advise on the best way to set this up and what exactly I would require to purchase to obtain the best possibile system. Costs are imporant but happy to pay to get it rigt first time.

Regards

Ravens

The Blue button is a '"Quote this Post" button.

If you hover your mouse cursor over the blue button without clicking it. A little 'pop up' should appear telling you the button function. This information 'pop up' feature should be active on all the forum buttons.

There are very few times, when 'quoting a post' in its entirety is necessary. It is best avoided in normal use, because it makes it difficult for the regular contributors who answer questions to see what is new text and what is a duplication of previous text. Particularly when the new text is trapped within the duplicated yellow box text as your replies have been.

You will notice that contributors with relatively high post counts, use the quote function very sparingly.

Hi All

I have been investigating two DCC control units, Hornby Elite with Railmaster or the Gaugemaster system. 

My main preference would be the Hornby setup as I really like the sound of the Railmaster system and what it does. Not sure as yet what I would require to purchase in order to achieve the best system possible. I have no problem in spending to get it right.

In order to learn more about these systems I have been looking over the Hornby forum site in order to avoid making costly mistakes.

I got concerned reading some posts re the long-term viability of Hornby and or the Railmaster system.

Chris seems to be a contact who answers a lot of questions and I hope is knowledgeable to advise me on things Hornby.

How strong and viable going forward are the brands before I spend that large amount of money o the DCC system. 

I have no wish to upsat anyone askin these questions, I just want to sped in the righ direction.

Can Railmaster work on the Ipad, if yes where can I read about this setup please.

Regards

Ravens

Hi Ravens, without wishing to seem always negative, may I suggest for future reference that you've just fallen for another trap for new players - changing topic in mid thread.  To get the widest response to a question, from Chris or otherwise, it is always better to start a new topic in the correct forum.  As this one boils down to being an RM handheld question, the RM forum would have been better with a descriptive of the question title.

Anyway, to some answers.

We can't say too much about Gaugemaster on here, it being a Hornby forum.  On the Elite, it is a fully functional DCC control system to which can be added a number of Select controllers as walkabouts or it can be run with RM.

When using RM, everything is done from your computer screen and the Elite is just a conduit for the power and control signals from the computer to the track.  That said, you can at the same time use the Elite knobs and buttons so you effectively have dual control.  You can of course run RM with eLink, the difference being you are now entirely limited to the screen as eLink has no knobs or buttons, it's just an interface.  RM functions exactly the same with either.

You can only run RM on a Windows computer (that includes Windows emulation on a Mac).  However, having put RM on your laptop, you can then run the Handheld app on an iPad and this will allow you to control locos and change points etc.

There is a very simple way to find out more about both RM and the HH.  Just go to the top of the RM forum and download RM from the link and you can install as a trial version for free.  You don't need to have a layout or any connection to Elite or eLink to do this.  There are a number of pre-configured layouts you can call up and you can set up 2 locos to drive.  Then if you go to the Help screen, Latest News and scroll back to the first item, you'll find it tells you how to set up an iPad HH app, again as a trial. So you can get the look and feel of both before you lay out a penny.  You'll also find all the manuals for everything have been downloaded to your desktop from doing that.

Hi Fishmanoz

Your view re fallen in to a trap 

I do not nrmally get involved in ANY forums of any kind at any time

Just trying to get the best decsion making information as poss from the widest range of people I can before I purchase a system and hope the feedback I get back will help me make the right decision - nothing more

If its in the wrong place then its in the wrong place

Many thanks for your answer and help

Ravens

Ravens, my advice was aimed at just what you want - the best advice from the best range of people on the forum.  Now you have the same question in 3 places, and the same answer from me to each, I think you have it covered.

For others, my suggestion is that further responses go in the Going Forward topic in the RM forum, rather than here or Going Forward in General, even though the latter already has a few replies.

Maybe Adam could consolidate there?

Archived