Installing Railmaster on a new Laptop

So I am not waiting on my wife to finish using our Laptop so I can play trains I have decided to purchase a Laptop which will be dedicated to my layout.

Unfortunately the new laptop will have Windows 10 installed so hopefully all will be good and will refer to comments on this forum when setting it up.

My question concerns restoring my settings, track plans etc on the new laptop. I am aware of the backup option (have RM Pro) but cannot find a restore option. Is it just a matter of copying all the backup files to the RM directory program files or am I missing something?

Windows 10 is no longer a problem, hasn't been for ages. Just make sure you have the correct ini file entries.  RM should do it all for you if you have your controller connected to the laptop by your USB when you first download and install from the RM forum link.

And restore is just copying the saved files into your RM directory.

dont forget to deactivate your existing installation first.

Just an update. Set up new laptop and installed RM - no problems. Copied back up files and all good here too. When it came to registering RM on new laptop (deactivated old laptop version first) did have a slight problem with Pro. Copied both unlock codes from my old laptop before deactivating. Entered unlock code in standard version and this activated straight away. When I entered code for Pro version it said incorrect code entered. Again check and my entered code was definately correct. After more attempts went and checked the email I received from RM when I purchased the upgrade. Guess what - there were 2 additional letters at the end of the code sequence. Entered these and all good. Strange that these 2 letters did not show up in the box - and yes it was not at the edge of the screen.

My old version on my old laptop of course reverted to the evaluatiion version. Went to run this today and was surprised to find my evaluation version has expired - only after a week - which would not be long enough in my opinion.

Unfortunately when the evaluation copy expires, even if you uninstall it then go for a new download to start again there is some bit of code left which says you cant do that.

I dont see why RM cant sit at eval state for ever as it is extremely restricted in that state but very useful if you just want to quickly check something.

Having said that a fiver for a new copy from Hattons means you can maybe afford to have one on every device you own if necessary.

... evaluation version has expired - only after a week ...

Glad you got it sorted and as Fishy says, W10 is not a problem and RM works well.  

I imagine that the evaluation period expiry is not the week since it reverted to an evaluation copy but the time since you first installed it on your old PC.  If you need another copy of RM, they are reduced to just £5 at that well known Liverpool Model Shop.

Archived