Going Forward

Ravens

Hi

bigskybirds -

Your laout is fab, I like the way you finished the edges of your board, but the part I thought was a ma zing was how clean and perfect it is - how long from start to finish - incredable you must be very proud of your layout.

Chrissaf

Again fab help and information supplied, the post you refer to seems to have gone as I cannot locate the links you refer to.  I have copied info and sent to my sparky friend who helps me on that cleaver bit. So, not simple to put lights all over the place as I hoped to do with DCC and four grandsons giveing me hassel to let them watch my trains. (watch is the word) (no touch)

You are a mind of info and help.

Regards

Ravens

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Ravens, those were not the links I was refering to.

I have trawled through my posting history to find the thread I was thinking of. It is this previous post:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/using-select-to-power-accessories/?p=1

Go to the link above then follow the links in the replies made by me. There are more than one reply by me with links within them that are relevant. For example, the 3rd and 10th replies down on the first page. This linked thread, in essence, contains a number of useful links relating to lighting. Most of them have got my DNA all over them.

Hi Chrisaf

Can't thank you enough for re posting link. I have found and saved 19 pages in a word doc wih about 70% of your posts all relating to Lighting - eh in case you wonder - no I have still to read them.

I will check ot this link also and add to the word do I have created.

Big Thanks

Ravens

Every Day Is A School Day - Always Learning

@Ravens.

At 60 plus been retired from all paid work since 2005. Apart from a Hornby layout as a child circa 1960 ish, never touched a Railway before 2013. However, been dabbling in electrics since the age of 13. At 16 I rewired the electrics in the family home. My father died from cancer when I was 6, so I grew up as the only male in the house (I have a sister but no brothers) to do DIY type jobs for my mum. An Electrical / Electronics apprenticeship followed after leaving school. The rest is history.

Trying to find an unbiased view on the best Locomotive Decoder to use for converting my old Hornby locos to DCC that will give me all the bells and whistles. Cost Is important but not critical.

Ravens - still on the learning curve - every day is a school day

@Ravens

It's like everything - buyer beware.  Without doubt there some excellent items from genuine sellers on eBay but there are also some, shall I say, not so genuine.

I personally would not (anymore) buy a Loco off eBay, unless it is Brand New and it is being sold by a recognised Model Railway Dealer - just my opinion because, once bitten twice shy!

If you want to buy secondhand, an alternative is one of the many Train Fairs around, where at least you can see the item before you buy and ask to see it running , or probably better still, a Local Model Shop if you have one near you.  Most model shops sell second hand items.

Trying to find an unbiased view on the best Locomotive Decoder to use for converting my old Hornby locos to DCC that will give me all the bells and whistles.

Everybody is biased in some way shape or form even if they don't even recognise it in themselves. The Hornby R8249 is basic, the Hornby Sapphire is relatively bulky and pricey.

I can't say that I have ever heard anybody berate the DCC loco decoders made by Lenz.

You want 'bells and whistles' does that mean you want sound decoders as well...... 😉 😆

Chrisaf

Yes the works sound 7.1 Dolby if poss - on a serious note yes if poss but not sure if my older locos can do sound - first reaction would be to old - see enlosed

1 Eurostar - Double engine blue & grey & gold band - No 320 & 3219 on cab
2 Green Steam King Charles I - No 6010
3 Green Shunter No D2424 underside states 12v on cab it states tested 20/01/02
4 Black Steam No 42363 underside No L5268
5 Green Steam - Great Western No 2783 on under side states British Patent No 2176124  

bigskybirds & RDS

Many thanks for advise on the outlet - I will call and order tomo

I was talking with a Mark Lodge of Hornby today, really nice chap and very helpfull on DCC he sent me his version of how to enter data on locos in Railmaster,

He suggested I download the trial software for Railmaster sysyem to look at on my old PC (now done) - I use a mac - I live on the dark side my daufgter tells me. Will look at Railmaster tomo.

Kind Regards

Ravens

Ravens, I wasn't being serious. The reference to sound was meant as a joke I only made it because you mentioned 'Bells & Whistles'. It seems lately that my sense of humour is getting me into trouble with others.

But yes, Rails of Sheffield are up there with Hattons of Liverpool in terms of being reputable.

Fishmanoz

Ah The Fish man returns - 

Hope you are well

Good news and bad news for you all

Bad News First

Based upon my research looks like I could be around for a while with Hornby - so with this being my first partcipation on a forum you could be stuck with me getting things wrong and asking lots of questions

Good News - None yet - working on it

Ravens - Every day is a school day

Boom

Archived