TTS decoders

mallone

Looking at the SS that is a 5 minute job to install TTS as the decoder socket is in the tender and the weight is cranked to fit over the speaker enclosure, if not leave it out or saw it to,fit.

That's good to know, thanks. It'll be a five minute job, as long as I don't pull one of the wires between loco and tender. Again. :(

The only thing that may be missing from the tender are 'posts' where the speaker screws go to separate the speaker from any metal weight carried in the tender. I have used blutack for this in another conversion.

That's useful info, thanks. I wonder if Hornby will include the posts and screws with the decoder. I'd like to avoid blu tac and insulating tape where possible. I guess Maplin's might do the right sort of posts and screws if they're not included, but it would be nice if those fittings came with the decoder.

I think the retro TTS kits will have full instructions and any necessary bits, hence the price being a bit more than the delta cost between a TTS and non TTS loco price. Maybe not the posts but certainly the screws If used, as looking at the service sheet again you can see the posts but they are not drilled and I suspect the weight will be the hold-me-down on this loco.

You should stick with the blu-tak though as TTS sound is much improved by sealing the speaker enclosure especially where the wires come out. Again from the service sheet I would advise sealing the speaker rim to the chassis mount with tak, so the sound goes out through those slots downwards.

Rob

....... but I'm wondering whether I should order a Tornado or an A3 TTS decoder for the Bon Accord?

That was my question in an earlier post. Doesn't the Tornado have a "Chime" whistle, whereas the original A1s didn't? So would an A3 sound near enough to an A1? They were both 3 cylinders I believe.

Ray.

I believe the posts for the speaker screws are integral with the tender moulding.

If a particular DCC ready motor-in-loco-model has not been retooled for the last 10 years and now has a TTS version the tender has had a tooling revision to provide these posts.

This is from a posting I made in the 'Survey - Hornby please provide TTS Kits' thread:

I can be specific about transplanting two of the latest TTS models. The 2P and 4F.

R3460TTS BR 0-6-0 Fowler 4F in Late BR was a straight body swap with R3030 LMS '4312'. They are definitely the same tooling.

First and third screw in base plate holds the chassis to body. Needed much see-sawing of chassis ends to remove body. The tender is also a straight body swap. The only modification on the newer model is two posts in the 4 and 10 position (12 is the draw bar) to which a speaker plate and bracket are screwed to separate the speaker from the ventral weight. DCC sockets are mounted the same in both models.

R3559TTS BR 4-4-0 Fowler 2P in Early BR fitting to R2099A. There are some problems with straight body swaps between the 16 year old R2099 and model and models made since 2011 which have a revised chassis for the loco mounted motor.

Tender: It was a straight body swap from the R2099A model to new model but the reverse fitting has interference with the weight blocks either side of the ringfield motor so that the body is not flush with the frame. I am investigating this further. The new tender has the same arrangement as the 4F and I'm guessing that the tenders are the same on both the R3459 and R3460 TTS models both being Fowler tenders.

Loco: A straight body swap again from new to old the chassis. The bottom of the new boiler barrels have also been shortened by approx. 10.8mm to accomodate the revised chassis that carries the motor. This plastic had to be ground away from the old body to fit onto the new chassis.

The new model body also has an approx. 15g weight screwed into the smoke box. I will look at fitting a 15g weight into the older LMS body.

The new model's pony truck picks up power so this is an incidental upgrade to my old 2P model.

Archived