help needed to program a loco module with e link

kris49

Kris welcome to the forum.

Could you be a bit more specific. Do you mean how do you change the loco DCC address (or any other CV related configuration) using your eLink system OR do you mean how do I add my loco and configure it into my RailMaster list of locos (loco roster)?

If i had a pound for every time i have given step by step instructions on this, i might be able to afford xmas. Chris, i think he means how to enter the loco, eg change cv etc. If so, by now, you will have probly found previous post, to save my fingers. john

This link below covers both aspects of the potential OP question (yet to be confirmed exactly what the question is). Adding a loco to the loco list (roster) in RailMaster** plus changing a default 003 loco address to something different using RailMaster (RM) to do it.

Note** the example described in the link below is for when a loco being added is not in the Hornby database. If it is in the loco database, then one can ignore the part about finding a suitable image on the Internet. Just use the search box in RM (in the same RM loco configuration window as per the description screenshot in the link) to find your Hornby loco. Using a loco from the database will automatically populate many of the other settings.Note also, that the linked description below is for a 'sound' loco. If your loco is not sound equipped, then the much of the description relating to the box on the right can also be ignored. If your loco is a diesel with lights, then you will need to ensure that button F0 has a label "Lights on/off" showing on it.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized/?p=1/

There is another description relating to changing a loco DCC address here, but it is in my opinion not well written.

Failing that, read the manual pages 34 and pages 69 to 72. Everything covered above are on those pages of the manual (albeit not that well written, but the information is there on those pages).

l'm sorry l wasn't clear enough as its my first time on here.

what l meant was can you please explain how l change the default 03 setting on a new module to say a new setting of 40.

sorry again

kris from poole

If you're still unsure, the setup I used to re-number my DCC locos was as follows:

• A piece of track R600 + R601 in length that was not connected to the main layout (I've seen this referred to as the "programming track").
  • An R8242 digital power clip connected to that track.
  • The wires to the eLink module inserted into the PROG outputs - not the TRACK outputs.
  • The other end of the wires connected to the aforementioned power clip.

Then, the steps in Railmaster are as follows:

1. Click on the Set up locomotives button (image of a single steam loco, second from left at the top).
  2. Wait for the locomotives list to load.
  3. Click, in the table, on the locomotive that you want to change.
  4. Click the Locomotive settings button (picture of an "i", bottom-left of the screen).
  5. In the CVs range to read boxes, enter 1 to 1.
  6. Click the green tick.
  7. Wait for the current locomotive address to be read (it'll take a few seconds).
  8. In the first row of the table, enter the locomotive address (i.e. 040) into the Value column that you'd like to give the locomotive.
  9. Click the Write CVs to loco button (looks like a pencil, bottom-left).
  10. Wait for the address to be written. This will take a little longer and also change other CV values, so be patient.
  11. Confirm that the new address has been stored by repeating steps 5 and 6.
  12. If all is well your loco will now have the new address.
  13. Click the red cross.
  14. You will now need to change the ID of the loco so Railmaster can command it. Click, on the table, the loco you've changed the address (ID) of.
  15. Click the Change current loco ID button (picture of a steam loco).
  16. Select, from the drop-down menu, the number that the loco now has, and click the green tick.

The locomotive should now have a new address/ID number and Railmaster should be able to command it.

Very handy guide 9P and worth printing out and pinning to the wall next to a new persons programming area for their future reference.

In fact if more people did that with the usefull hints and tips posted on here we probably wouldnt have to reinvent the wheel quite so often.

Archived