Triang Locos with TTS Sound?

Forum-1211528

/media/tinymce_upload/b01f6c05f835e96d232efd9e892c2101.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/ee570fdfe2ee6b242cff448791904f6b.jpgWe are getting into the realms of the Americian Triang locos ive got Hiawatha she travels fast running with a load of coaches but can she be fitted with DCC if its the SYCROSMOKE one forget it you get smoke oil on yer DCC chip its the end of that! If you have the standard loco this should be fine but our old friend the XO4 motor could be the problem??

• 3 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/0d18a10e351b091cc1d88dddf39c4a98.jpgDo you have a Triang Flying Scotsman on your layout would you like TTS sound on it but the trouble is the R855 has an XO4 motor so that makes it hard i simply dont think these sound chip can work through this motor even if FLYING SCOTSMAN is running well so if anyone like me is considering putting TTS sound on their Triang loco let me know!

Did you not read what I said on page 1 of the thread Colin?  Chances are it will be ok but you need to do a stall current test to confirm it doesn't exceed the 800mA capability of the chip.  If the magnet in the motor is in good condition, it will probably be fine, if weak, maybe not.

• 1 month later...

Now this is probably where the madness starts - to escape the current limit of the TTS decoder - can the power pickup connections - (minus the motor) on the TTS decoder be paralleled with a standard DCC controller takng care of the motor and any functions. Obviously both will need to have the same address to recieve the commands for that loco. Hopefully this would mean that current draw on the TTS controller would be a moot point where it is only now dealing with sound. Most Lima Deisels for example have a ton of room inside for two decoders and with a little bit of ingenuity a speaker as well.

It can be done but stall current will be everything, older locos may draw extra current as has been said.

Colin this may help, this is the X.04 motor fitted to your princess's and Flying Scotsman, your class 37 and DMU don't have X.04 motors.

The DMU has an X.3120 power bogie, the class 37 has an X.337 Power bogie.

/media/tinymce_upload/9a0997558d5b8151c2c3d012e7bdd0d0.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/e61bdbea05cd4773bde97eccee5e92c0.jpg

I have thought this might be helpful, a little guide I have posted this before.  The list is by no means exhaustive.

These are average current draw Tri-ang-Hornby readings from the early 1970's quoted in catalouges, trade and dealer info etc. Worth bearing in mind is that the motor magnets loose magnetism over time and windings can decay so current draw may be higher today than it was then. Milliamps is a measurement of current consumed, there are a 1000 milliamps in 1Amp. Note lighting and smoke units really increase current consumption.

R.861 Evening Star   3 Pole Ringfield Drive. 250Milliamps

R.871 Princess Coronation Class Streamlined. 450Milliamps

R.258/NS Princess Class Loco with Synchrosmoke. 840Milliamps

R.52S "Jiny" 3F tank loco with Synchrosmoke 740 Milliamps.

R.354 Lord of The Isles X.05 motor powered 430 Milliamps

R.553. Caledonian Single X.05 motor powered 430 Milliamps

R.759/N Hall Class loco 330 Milliamps

R.855/N Flying Scotsman with firebox glow and tender sound 560 Milliamps

R.866/S B12 Loco with Synchrosmoke 740 Milliamps.

R.754/R.868 M7 Loco with opening smokebox door and firebox glow. 560 Milliamps

R.754/R.868 M7 Loco with opening smokebox door, but without firebox glow. 330 Milliamps

R.869/S Winston Churchill Battle of Britain Loco with synchrosmoke. 820 Milliamps.

R.59/S BR 3MT tank loco with synchrosmoke 730 Milliamps

R.259/NS Britannia Class Loco with Synchrosmoke 840 Milliamps

R.335/B Nellie Loco 380 Milliamps.

R.152 Class 08 (Tri-ang type) Diesel Shunter 400 Milliamps

R.253 Dock Shunter Diesel with working lamp 410 Milliamps

R.351 EM2 Class loco 420 Milliamps

R.357 Class 31/Brush type 2 A1A-A1A Diesel loco 300 Milliamps

R.751 Class 37/English-Electric Type 3 CO-CO Diesel Loco 300 Milliamps

R.753 A.E.1/AL1/Class 81 BO-BO Electric overhead loco 460 Milliamps

R.756 Beyer Peacock Type 3 B-B Hymek Diesel Loco 340 Milliamps

R.555/C Blue Pullman 2 Car Unit 330 Milliaamps

R.157/C Class 101 DMU 2 car Railcar (Tri-ang type) 320 Milliamps.

Illuminated Mk1's

R.722 Intercity Second Class Coach 140 Milliamps

R.723 Intercity Brake First Coach 140 Milliamps

Accesories

R.266 Station Lamps 140 Milliamps.

SoT, then what is the current draw on an X04 motor loco with no other bits and pieces, so we can be a little more definitive in answering Colin's question on fitting TTS to his X04 FS?  Apart from the fact he should do a stall current test anyway.

I recently saw something where a guy was checking current on these old motors (xo4 open frame type with block magnet) and he halved the current draw by fitting a neo magnet.

I cant remember if it was a forum or u-tube  report now.

I recently saw something where a guy was checking current on these old motors (xo4 open frame type with block magnet) and he halved the current draw by fitting a neo magnet.

I cant remember if it was a forum or u-tube  report now.

Found it

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118762-saving-50-of-the-electric-consumption-of-an-x04/&do=findComment&comment=2590974

Neo magnets are great but because they are so much stronger they tend to pull the motor armature shaft out of alignment and cause bearing wear. In the X.04 the armature tends to be pulled back and slightly over to one side by using a neo magnet, causing bearing wear on front and back bearing. On the diesel power bogies the armature tends to be pulled on side or the other causing extra bearing wear again.

Neo magnets are great but because they are so much stronger they tend to pull the motor armature shaft out of alignment and cause bearing wear. In the X.04 the armature tends to be pulled back and slightly over to one side by using a neo magnet, causing bearing wear on front and back bearing. On the diesel power bogies the armature tends to be pulled on side or the other causing extra bearing wear again.

Archived