Class 47 R3287T

PJ_model_trains

Hi PJ........I have the R3393TTS class 47.........I believe all the diesel TTS sound cvs are the same so mine shows CV182 as the general volume level........the range is 0 to 8.........the individual engine volume is CV161, range 0 to 8, default value 4.......hope this helps.........HB.

CV178 is the sound volume of F22 Coupling and ,again, the range is 0 to 8, default 3.........I don't think that setting as 000 or 001 is a correct format for TTS CVs.........the required numbers are all in the range of 0 to 8.......HB

Update

I have checked the CV's of the Class 47, 182 was address 255

I changed this to 001 and wrote the CV value then tested the loco - no change, still very loud.

So I changed the CV to 000, wrote the CV and tested and yes the sound was off.

So I put loco back on program track and re-wrote the 001 value, after testing the sound is still very loud, much louder than all my other diesel Locos set at 001 sound level? Also the diesel engine is enough to almost drown the high/low horn sound?

The only other thing I think I can try later is to write cv182 to address 004 and see how much louder the sound is, or if it is?

RAF96 - the cv values for overall sound, 178 steam and 182 diesel, seems a good assumption. I just checked my Class 43 Virgin East Coast TTS diesel and the cv sound values only go up to 178 so maybe this situation is not in all cases.

HB - thanks for confirming cv182 is write only. It did have cv182 showing address 255, for the Class 47, I wrote this to 001 and when I tried to re-read it it said 255. That would be the reason why, I think. 

The easy way to check and adjust these sound CVs is to use RM on the programming track. Although it appears not to be amendable you can still change the value.

... or if you are feeling brave use the Elite to program to that address on the main, then alter the  overall sound level CV of choice on the hoof as it were (definitely CV178 for steam,  CV182 for diesel) and you should hear the sound dynamic change noticably In real time. You can also do this for accel, decell as well as overall sound volume.

... or if you have a Sapphire you can top up your coal/water/fuel on the main when your loco stops from lack of it.

I will have another play first chance I get.

I do not have the sound lists at hand that came with the loco, trouble with being disabled you reply on other people, my wife, with good intentions, aiming to help me and tidy up, put all my boxes in the loft, the data sheets that come with the locos are in the boxes!!!

Regarding your additional suggestions, though meant with good intentions; as stated in my signature, I only have RM and eLink.

The sound I am getting from the Class 47, is what I would expect when it is purchased, prior to dropping to 001, far to loud! (and I am deaf! - small room)

I have managed to grab a few minutes to test the Class 47 sound again.

• Setting CV182 address 001 still very loud
  • setting address to 004 was louder so I put it back to 001
  • we have previously established address 000 turned the sound off.

So it seems this model is rather loud even at 001.

So I put a Class 37, and a Class 43 near the Class 47 and put the sound on for each. The Class 37 is a Loksound and has full start up sounds so that was started first to bring the sound up  to the stage the others would be. I then started the Class 43 TTS and the sound on those two were a reasonable level. I then started the Class 47 TTS and it was far louder than the other two. The trouble is that the Class 47 engine noise drowns the other sounds, horn, etc. So opening the loco and muffling the sound in some way would not solve the issue.

Frustrating, we know it is the right CV, we know the address is 001, lowest we can go without switching it off, but it is to loud against my other diesel locos. maybe I should look to see if I can raise the sound of the horn and other features but I would still have a loud engine sound, but if the others  could be raised then muffling the speaker may work, I think. Suggestions always welcome.

My final decision would be to sell it but that is not currently what I want to do. 

Suggestions always welcome.

What about adding a 100 ohm preset to provide a very crude volume control.

https://www.rapidonline.com/truohm-wr085h01-100r-carbon-preset-potentiometer-67-0400

/media/tinymce_upload/e286e509b8d2cc7439e0c917f551e302.jpg

Note: I am assuming TTS Speaker is 4 or 16 ohms. If the TTS Speaker is 100 ohms, then make preset 470 ohms instead.

Seems to be terminology day. PJ, just a minor thing - CVs don't contain addresses, they contain values (see in loco pamphlet on the previous page).  However, the value in CV1 is the loco short address. 

And not mentioned here so just checking you know that when you get a CV value of 255, it is mostly telling you it hasn't been read at all.

@PJ..........have you tried changing CV161 yet..........this controls the engine sound volume seperately from all other sounds.........the range is 0 to 8, default 4.........so please try setting to 1 and report back........I have already changed mine to 1 which noticebly reduced the volume........HB

TTS locos should have an 8ohm speaker.

The very early ones may have had a 4 ohm one, which definitely was too loud And can be changed for an 8 ohm one.

A 16 ohm speaker if available could overload the TTS decoder and reduced the clarity.

The 100 ohm speaker is usually found on the ESU v3.5 sound decoder used by Hornby before they went over to the v4.0 unit again with an 8 ohm speaker. The 100 ohm speaker is not suitable for TTS.

Rob

TEST & CONCLUSION

I have tried cv161, first writing to 000 then to 001 and then re-reading which confirmed 001

- Sound as before to loud

I have never opened a loco to view the engine, chips, speakers etc. My enjoyment is running trains and building layout and scenery. Although still building the layout I am now in a position to start playing, preparing and running program routes, that is my part of my hobby what I enjoy most. Hence the amount of work in the layout design and stations etc.

I purchased this loco November 2015, but have only run it to check it! Once Christmas was out of the way last year I decided to build a new layout, (as many of you know but it has taken longer than expected) since then testing and building has only been done with a couple of locos, my favourites, so I have never run the Class 47. Maybe then this could be one of the first TTS locos.

Final test I started the Class 47, 3 feet away, with the Loksound Class 37 next to it, and the Class 43 Virgin HST a foot from me, although I knew sound was coming from all three the Class 47 was over powering and does not fit in with the balance of sound I need. I cannot have one over powering the sound of the others, as they move on the layout they should be balanced level of sound, only sounding louder when near me and lower when some distance from me.

I think I might be selling it.

Archived