Flying Scotsman Decoder

RocknRoll

I have recently purchased a new DCC ready Flying Scotsman set, currently running as analog. It is my intention to convert to DCC as soon as possible. Please can anybody recommend a suitable DCC Controller (NCE Power Cab 2amp maybe) and a suitable Decoder and speaker. Also, will the speaker fit in the loco and if so where? Thank you. 😀

RocknRoll,

Regardless of whether members have personal recommendations regarding kit. This is a Hornby forum. There is a forum rule, namely:

"Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted."

Thus it is rather awkward for members to recommend non Hornby kit, even if that was their recommended product preference. In this circumstance and to get an unbiased view, you might be better off asking this particular question on the "Model Railway Forum" for which there are no manufacturer related restrictions.

I only mention the above, because you specifically mention NCE PowerCab in your question. Which to the best of my knowledge is a favoured controller by many.

If promoting Hornby kit, I think most on here would favour the Hornby Elite DCC controller, with or without RailMaster (PC control) OR RailMaster & eLink for which a PC (Windows) is a mandatory requirement. Again, from a Hornby biased perspective I think most would probably recommend the forthcoming soon to be released (next summer) Hornby TTS sound decoder for your Flying Scotsman. Either the A1 R8108 or perhaps the A3 R8106 TTS decoder.

Also, will the speaker fit in the loco and if so where?

I believe both the decoder and speaker are designed to fit in the locomotive tender. Other's may be able to confirm this or not.

@RocknRoll..........In the version of FS in the set as I have, the decoder is in the loco.......now there is sufficient room within the boiler space for a small sound decoder but your choice of speaker is critical.........potentially a very small speaker no more than 8mm thick could be stuck to the back of the cab wall just clear of the flywheel..........the Hornby TTS decoder looks too big to fit in the boiler space.........HB

@RocknRoll

No problem, RocknRoll, you're not the first, won't be the last either to ask a 'please recommend non Hornby kit' question.

You will find (if you read enough posts) many that do indeed recommend non Hornby kit. There is a slight 'get out of jail free card' for those instances. It is generally accepted as OK to recommend non Hornby products, if there is no equivalent product in the Hornby portfolio to compete with that product. Take Train-Tech signals for example or slow action point motors by DCC Concepts. Hornby have no equivalent product for these two example product items. Thus, these two products are extensively discussed and promoted on the forum.

@Howbiman

Big motor and flywheel HB.

So the RailRoad range are a complete departure from the more expensive fine-scale versions by Hornby then with regard to decoder location. I see what you mean, you would struggle to get a round TTS speaker in that limited space. I suppose if ones skills are up to it, you might be able to fit the speaker in the tender and install a miniature plug and socket wiring link between the loco and tender.

It's a bit confusing, Chris, because the Railroad version has no DCCsocket, the set version is DCC ready as my photo and the TTS version is of course in the tender......that weight in front of the decoder is removable and conceivably could be cut down to allow a small cube speaker to be stuck on top which I may well do next year when the individual TTS decoder becomes available.......HB

Archived